"The ocean depths are trembling..."
The Abyss is an aquatic biome added by the Calamity Mod which spawns upon world creation. It is located under the Sulphurous Sea on the Dungeon side of the world, and is extremely deep, dark, and perilous. It is filled with deadly enemies, which increase in strength as the biome grows deeper. Because many enemies in the Abyss are initially passive, only becoming hostile when hit or when in close proximity to the player, stealthiness should be greatly prioritized while exploring the biome.
The Abyss is divided into four distinct layers, each with a different set of enemies that will spawn.
- Layer 1 is empty and open, populated by enemies that are relatively benign but still hostile, potentially threatening to unprepared players. This layer is recommended to be explored after defeating Skeletron.
- Layer 2 contains islands, either connected to the side of the Abyss or floating in the middle. The middle islands always have a "house" sitting on top of them, which holds a locked Shadow Chest containing unique Abyss weapons and accessories. This layer is recommended to be explored during Hardmode or, if prepared enough, late Pre-Hardmode.
- Layer 3 is identical to layer 2 in terms of structures, although the enemies present are significantly more dangerous. At this depth, the player's vision will become completely darkened without the aide of special equipment such as the Lumenous Amulet. This layer is recommended to be explored in late Hardmode or after defeating Moon Lord.
- Layer 4 opens back up into a large empty space before the Abyss closes in at a point. The most dangerous enemies are present in this layer, and as such it is only recommended to explore after defeating several Post-Moon Lord bosses, namely the Polterghast.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops|
Layer 1, 2 and 3:
Layer 2 and 3:
Layer 3 and 4:
|From Shadow Chests:||
Light Level[edit | edit source]
Without a sufficient level of light, the player's vision may be reduced (similarly to the Darkness debuff) or blackened completely (similarly to the Obstructed debuff), depending on how deep they've descended into the Abyss.
- In Layer 1, the player's vision will be reduced unless they have a light level of 1 or higher.
- In Layer 2, the player's vision will be blackened unless they have a light level of 1 or higher, and reduced unless they have a light level of 3 or higher.
- In Layer 3, the player's vision will be blackened unless they have a light level of 3 or higher, and reduced unless they have a light level of 5 or higher.
- In Layer 4, the player's vision will be blackened unless they have a light level of 5 or higher, and reduced unless they have a light level of 7 or higher.
The following items increase the player's light level. These values are cumulative, and stacking several of them at the same time is required for maximum vision in the Abyss.
- Crimson Heart, Shadow Orb, or Magic Lantern pet: +1 to light level
- Jellyfish Necklace, Jellyfish Diving Gear, or Arctic Diving Gear: +1 to light level
- Arctic Diving Gear: +1 to light level (+2 total)
- Fairy or Flickerwick pet: +2 to light level
- Shine buff or Lumenous Amulet: +2 to light level
- Wisp, Suspicious Looking Eye, or Young Siren pet: +3 to light level
The breath meter drains much faster while in the Abyss, dropping even faster as the player enters deeper layers. Being inflicted with the Crush Depth debuff, which is common in the 3rd and 4th layers, will cause the player's breath to drain faster still. On top of that, running out of breath will drain the player's health significantly faster than normal. Because of these conditions, underwater breathing equipment is a necessity.
Items that normally grant full underwater breathing, such as the Gills Potion, Ocean Crest, or Neptune's Shell, will not work in the Abyss. They will only reduce the rate at which the breath meter drains, but cannot stop it from draining.
The following items reduce how fast the player's Breath meter drains in the Abyss, from least to most effective. Note that the breath meter can never be stopped from draining completely, no matter which items are used or equipped.
- Gills buff, Ocean Crest, or Aquatic Emblem
- Items/Accessories that let the player ignore water physics
- Victide armor sets
- Diving Helmet
- Arctic Diving Gear
- Merfolk buff
- Siren's Heart (with Skeletron defeated)
- Abyssal Diving Suit
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Fishing in the Abyss will warrant different catches based on fishing power, and are as follows (the Sulphurous Sea also has the same fishing drops):
- Being in any layer of the Abyss below the first layer will disable natural life regen, much like the Bleeding debuff. This can be prevented by equipping the Depths Charm, Abyssal Diving Gear, or Abyssal Diving Suit.
- Equipping any of these accessories will also halve the amount of damage taken from running out of breath in the Abyss.
- Empty Buckets and the Super Absorbant Sponge cannot be used in the Abyss.
- Lava and Honey buckets can not be placed in water inside of the Abbys.
- Creature Detection (such as the Radar or Hunter Potions) will not work in the Abyss.
- It is possible that the entrances into the Shadow Chest rooms will be blocked, requiring the player to slowly mine through the Abyss Gravel to get into them.
- In Small or Medium sized worlds, the Abyss tends to generate over the Dungeon.
- It is possible to break holes into the Underworld from the Abyss. Doing so will drain the Abyss of water and may lead to the flooding of the entire Underworld.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- While you can explore the entire biome even while in Pre-Hardmode, you are very unlikely to survive due to the intense pressure and strong enemies present in the deeper parts of the Abyss.
- The Siren's Heart and the Shrimpy Truffle can prove very useful due to their increased mobility in water. The Cute Fishron mount is always wet and increases damage whereas the the Siren's Heart grants the Siren Speed buff.
- Do not use the Rod of Discord in the Abyss, as this will summon the incredibly powerful Adult Eidolon Wyrm, regardless of your progression through the game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme that is heard while in the upper two layers of the Abyss is Hadopelagic Pressure, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- The theme that is heard while in the lower two layers of the Abyss is R'LYEH, which was made by wiki editor RoverdriveZ
- DM DOKURO has also made a theme for the lower two layers of the Abyss, known as void, which is not currently used in-game. It is unknown if it will be implemented in the future.
- Some of the creatures in the Abyss are based off of the game Subnautica, though most are based on real life ocean creatures.
- If you drown in the Abyss, the death message "[Playername]'s legs appeared where his/her head should be." shows, which is the death message when dying to damage caused by the Chaos State debuff.
| Biomes and Structures|
|Biomes|| Abyss • Astral Meteor • Profaned Crags • Sulphurous Sea|
Cavern • The Corruption • The Crimson • Desert • Dungeon • The Hallow • Jungle • Jungle Temple • Mushroom • Ocean • Space • Snow • Surface • The Underworld
|Structures||Evil Island • Shrine • Ice Tomb|