|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Buff duration||10 minutes (Help option)|
|Buff tooltip||You are blessed by Amidias|
Lets you breathe underwater, even in the Abyss!
Just don't get hit...
|Debuff duration||4 seconds (Snap Clam attack)|
|Debuff tooltip||Clam clap|
- If you were looking for something other than the town NPC, see Amidias (disambiguation).
The Sea King will immediately spawn upon killing a Giant Clam, but if killed he will only move in once the following conditions have been met:
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|2||After Desert Scourge is defeated|
|20||After Aquatic Scourge is defeated|
|40||After Duke Fishron is defeated|
Help[edit | edit source]
When the player selects the Sea King's "Help" option, they will be granted the Amidias' Blessing buff for 10 minutes, allowing them greatly enhanced underwater breathing until they get hit or the duration is over. The Sea King will also tell the player some information about the world in the form of tips, hints, or lore. After certain milestones are reached, all possible Help dialogues will be replaced with new ones.
After Cryogen has been defeated:
After Golem has been defeated:
After Moon Lord has been defeated:
After Providence, the Profaned Goddess has been defeated:
After The Devourer of Gods has been defeated:
After Jungle Dragon, Yharon has been defeated:
Names[edit | edit source]
- The Sea King will always be named Amidias.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Is this... what the world is like now? It seems so much more lifeless than when I saw it when I disappeared."
- "Thank you for your service, my child, but I am afraid I am without a home now."
During the daytime:
- "My homeland may have been dried up, but the memory of my people still exist. I will not let that be in vain."
- "There is a lot that you do not know about this world, especially regarding the past. Much of it has been lost to history during the many wars that plagued it."
- "How can I survive on land? Ah, that is a secret. No, actually... I can breathe air like you!"
- "Why do you ask if it's the males who carry their young? Don't your males carry their young?"
Only at night:
- "There be monsters lurking in the darkness. Most...unnatural monsters."
- "Most creatures look up at the moon and admire it. I look up at it and fear it."
- "Oh, me? I don't sleep. It's part of my nature."
During a Blood Moon:
- "I'm never keen on these nights. They're so violent."
- "Ah, you are starting to realize just how complicated this world is now. You are learning the story of what became of him."
- "The balance between light and darkness is tipping. Stay strong, my child."
If Moon Lord has been defeated:
- "I must admit, I am quite shaken up by now. Never would I have imagined that I would see one of the elder gods again. Not in this lifetime anyhow.”
- "Times like this I wish my home was still in one piece instead of evaporated away. I don't blame the witch for anything, it's just... Oh, never mind."
- "Do you ever get the feeling that something out there is watching you very carefully? Whatever it is, it's very small and very sly, I think."
If The Devourer of Gods has been defeated:
- "I suppose that witch was mistaken. Defeating the Ceaseless Void and the Devourer has not caused our world to collapse... but I would not lower my guard if I were you."
When Angler is present:
- "Meet me at [Name of Angler]'s house at night. We're going to throw him to the Trashers."
- "Not sure how [Name of Angler] has not been roasted and digested by now, hanging around the sulphuric seas for so long. Perhaps it has gotten to his head."
When Party Girl is present:
- "[Name of Party Girl] asked if my nose could be used as a vuvuzela. What is a vuvuzela?"
When Drunk Princess is present:
- "Rumor has it [Name of Drunk Princess] drinks to forget her troubled past."
If the player has the Strange Orb equipped:
- "Ah, nice duds, my child!"
If the player has the Siren's Heart equipped:
- "Shouldn't you be wearing a clam bra?"
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlike all other town NPCs, the Sea King cannot drown; in spite of this, his dialogue states that he can breathe air.
- Since Amidias' Blessing provides unlimited breath in all watery areas, including the Abyss, it makes him very useful for exploration.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Sea King has only one possible name, sharing this trait with Santa Claus, the Drunk Princess, and the Archmage.
- The Sea King, along with the Archmage, are two characters who appear in the lore.
- Further supporting this claim, many of the Sea King's quotes are references to the lore, such as mentioning his whole kingdom being evaporated by Calamitas.
- The Sea King mentions when selecting Help after defeating Yharon, that the player is able to fight Draedon and Lord Yharim; however, they have yet to be implemented into the game.
- The dialogue about "males carrying young" is a reference to real-world seahorse biology, playing to the fact that the Sea King's design is derived from said animal.
- In the mod's source files, the Sea King is referred to as 'SEAHOE'.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Of the kingdoms of the world, among those long gone and those which still stand today, none can compare to the domain of the ocean crown. Its houses of vibrant coral and pearl shone like a jewel on the dull seabed. Those who lived there were prideful, and they distanced themselves from the rest of the world certain in their position that they were superior to the beings who traversed dry land. This led them to be seclusive, and though many knew of its existence and beauty, nearly none knew of the world within its walls. It lay far beneath the surface away from the prying eyes and grasping hands of the humans who sought its riches, and thus existed peacefully without disruption for hundreds of years. Yet change is inevitable, and the tranquil world beneath the waves would soon be breached.
Amidias was heir to royalty, and was destined to take the throne to lead his people once he became of age. Yet, Amidias’ disparity to the rest of his kind was quite evident from the moment he could make his own decisions. Choosing to explore what lay beyond the walls of the palace, he enjoyed the company of dolphins and other fish, learning much of the world from them. However, one day, he learnt of the terrors of the world above. A whale he had been following was brutally injured, and harpooned to death only to then be hauled onto a great wooden ship. The water turned from crystal clear to a murky red with the blood of the animal within seconds. He could not approach the area for days due to the nausea induced by the mere smell of it. He now knew of the terrible weapons and ambitious minds of the sailors who often searched for his hidden city looking for treasures to ransack and sell. He wished only the best for his people, and as he grew older he began to worry for the protection of the kingdom in which they lived.
In time, as his father passed, Amidias inherited the crown and gained a family. No longer would he explore beyond the walls into the vibrant blue, or muse of life’s curiosities, drifting in the open waters. He constantly worried for the wellbeing of his family, never allowing his children to explore for themselves. He was brave, and a warrior in heart, but weighed down with the burdens of life. He feared that he could not protect them all. He vowed never to allow his people to venture to the land above, and yet… even with his greatest efforts, it was once more inevitable that if they would not change, change would meet them.
A man who could breathe as easily as they could, move with equal swiftness, strike with as much power, if not more, swam to the depths to hold council with Amidias. He sought no treasures, would take no captives. All he wanted, was for Amidias to listen to an offer. One that would grant power, magic, great control… and Amidias refused. He could sense the madness in the mind of the man who had come from above. Nothing like the simple, greedy ambitions of the men who wanted to live as kings, rich from the ocean’s bounty, but rather, a burning hatred that had cooled to the razor’s edge of obsidian. Amidias would take no part in his schemes. Upon his refusal, the man had nothing to say. He stood silently, and nodded before leaving. They would never see him again, yet that night, their world would turn to one of scorching flames.