|AI Type||Aquatic Scourge AI|
|Max Life||73,000 / 116,800 / 136,000 / 160,000|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- (11-20 / 15-25)100%
- (5-9 / 7-11)100%
- (5-9 / 7-11)100%
- (5-9 / 7-11)100%
- 20-40 / 25-40100%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 11.11% / 12.5%
The Aquatic Scourge is a boss that can be fought in the Sulphurous Sea biome at any point in the game, but is intended to be fought during Hardmode. It is the hydrated and mutated version of the Desert Scourge.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Segments[edit | edit source]
Aquatic Scourge Head
Aquatic Scourge Body
Aquatic Scourge BodyAlternate
Aquatic Scourge Tail
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Once spawned, the Aquatic Scourge will be passive, slowly following the player. It will become hostile and rapidly accelerate upon being hit by the player.
Once hostile, the Aquatic Scourge will circle the player in the ground or in the air, firing projectiles and summoning minions. It will also attempt to charge into the player to deal contact damage.
Going too high (into the Space layer) or leaving the Sulphurous Sea will cause the Aquatic Scourge to enrage and gain a speed boost and spew out projectiles at a faster rate. Additionally, if gravity is reversed, such as when using a Gravitation Potion, the Aquatic Scourge gains a significant speed boost and vomits projectiles more often.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- The Aquatic Scourge periodically "vomits" several projectiles from its mouth in a circular spread. These projectiles include:
- Sulphuric water bolts which travel quickly in a straight line.
- Tooth-like projectiles which home in on the player.
- Sulphur gas clouds that linger in the air for a long time.
- The Aquatic Scourge occasionally summons Aquatic Seekers, Aquatic Parasites, and Aquatic Urchins.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Increases the amount of projectiles spawned by the Aquatic Scourge by roughly three times.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Aquatic Parasite||During boss fight|
|Aquatic Seeker||During boss fight|
|Aquatic Urchin||During boss fight|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Fishing Drops[edit | edit source]
|Crate Potion||2-3||25% / 33.33%|
|Sonar Potion||2-3||25% / 33.33%|
|Fishing Potion||2-3||25% / 33.33%|
|Angler Hat||1||25% / 33.33%|
|Angler Vest||1||25% / 33.33%|
|Angler Pants||1||25% / 33.33%|
|Fisherman's Pocket Guide||1||11.11% / 12.5%|
|Sextant||1||11.11% / 12.5%|
|Weather Radio||1||11.11% / 12.5%|
|Angler Earring||1||11.11% / 12.5%|
|Angler Tackle Bag||1||8.33% / 10%|
|High Test Fishing Line||1||8.33% / 10%|
|Tackle Box||1||8.33% / 10%|
|Golden Bug Net
(After Skeletron has been defeated)
|1||6.67% / 8.33%|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player uses a Magic Mirror or Recall Potion, the Aquatic Scourge will follow the player to their spawn point. This can also happen occasionally when the player dies.
- While this boss can spawn in Pre-Hardmode, it is not recommended to fight it until the player has acquired decent Hardmode gear since it is very fast and has many attacks that an early game player cannot handle.
- Aquatic Scourge, like Desert Scourge and The Leviathan, can drop fishing items rewarded by the Angler for completing his quests.
- It drops materials for the Victide Bar, even though they are rendered quite obsolete at this point of the game.
- All Aquatic Scourge segments take reduced damage from piercing projectiles. Projectile damage is divided by the number of times it pierces and infinite piercing is divided by five.
- All of the Aquatic Scourge's loot will spawn at the nearest segment with the exception of the Sulphurous Sand and Hearts, which will always spawn at the head.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating the Aquatic Scourge, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Aquatic Scourge strategies.
- This fight is very difficult to tank. Avoid the tooth projectiles and gas clouds at all costs and use weapons with ranged options if possible.
- Avoid the head as much as possible, especially on Revengeance or Death Mode, as its high contact damage can kill the player extremely quickly.
- If the player has defeated one of the mechanical bosses the Ark of the Ancients is a good weapon to use against the Aquatic Scourge due to its large hitbox.
- Using the Chlorophyte Shotbow or the Daedalus Stormbow with Holy Arrows can easily kill the Aquatic Scourge, provided that the player has adequate dodging skills and equipment. Keep in mind that both the Daedalus Stormbow and Holy Arrows are nerfed in the Calamity Mod, though they still deal excellent damage.
- Alternatively, Jester's Arrows can be used due to their infinite piercing ability.
- Crystal Piercers can be obtained shortly after defeating Cryogen and deal massive damage with their infinite piercing.
- Poseidon is a great weapon for mages due to its homing and piercing combo.
- Icebreaker is an effective weapon for rogue users on early Hardmode (dropped from Cryogen) that does excellent damage when the boomerangs stack on the head of the Aquatic Scourge.
- The Blessed Apple can help to get away from the boss if used on a flat surface/platform arena.
- The boss takes a while to turn, therefore using an item like the Counter Scarf is great for dodging the boss and its projectiles.
- The Honey Dew can be a short term solution to Venom, by switching it with other accessories temporarily to cancel the debuff.
- Spawning the Aquatic Scourge when trying to fish in the Sulphurous Sea is a good idea, as it strongly reduces enemy spawn rate while it is alive. Due to the time-consuming nature of fishing or waiting for the Scourge to spawn, it is highly likely that it will spawn while the player is fishing.
- A Mechanical Cart can be used to outrun the Aquatic Scourge, even if it is enraged.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme heard during the Aquatic Scourge battle is Outcast of the Sulphurous Seas which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- The theme is a remix of the Desert Scourge’s theme.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 2 will play instead.
- Because it is a more powerful version of the Desert Scourge, many of their drops are shared. The Aquatic Scourge's weapons are upgraded versions of the Desert Scourge's weapons, as well.
- This boss and the Desert Scourge can both drop the Aero Stone and several fishing drops, making them the only two bosses to share a drop outside of crafting materials, potions, or fishing items.
- The Aquatic Scourge's design was initially a redesign of the Desert Scourge made by Frous, a spriter for the mod.
- Like several other bosses in the mod, the Aquatic Scourge lacks a mask and trophy.
- With a passive state longer than that of Crabulon's (the Scourge will always remain passive unless attacked, Crabulon will wait a while before attacking) and it slowly following the player, then rapidly accelerating when attacked, it could be postulated that the Aquatic Scourge has some degree of intelligence or sapience; and is simply curious about the player.
- Similarly to the Siren and Leviathan, the Aquatic Scourge can be accidentally summoned in Pre-Hardmode, although the latter will not be immediately hostile.
- Since the Aquatic Scourge drops Souls of Sight, the Brimstone Elemental drops Souls of Fright and Cryogen drops Souls of Might, the Drax or Pickaxe Axe can technically be crafted as soon as you have defeated a Mechanical Boss, allowing you to utilize Chlorophyte on the other two.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The long-lost relative of The Desert Scourge mutated by the toxic sulphuric waters above the Abyss. Due to its adaptations to thrive in the sulphuric ocean and ample food supply of catfish and flounder it is far less aggressive than its relative. Those that venture to the sulphuric ocean should exercise caution, however, as this sea beast is still a carnivorous predator and will immediately attack if provoked.