|AI Type||Aquatic Scourge AI|
|Max Life||73,000 / 116,800 / 129,600 / 152,000|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- (20-40 / 25-40)100%
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Segments[edit | edit source]
Aquatic Scourge Head
Aquatic Scourge Body
Aquatic Scourge Tail
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Once spawned, the Aquatic Scourge will be passive, slowly following the player. It will become hostile and rapidly accelerate upon being hit by the player.
Once hostile, the Aquatic Scourge will circle the player in the ground or in the air, firing projectiles and summoning minions. It will also attempt to charge into the player to deal contact damage.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- The Aquatic Scourge periodically "vomits" several projectiles from its mouth in a circular spread. These projectiles include:
- Sulphuric water bolts which travel quickly in a straight line.
- Tooth-like projectiles which home in on the player.
- Sulphur gas clouds that linger in the air for a long time.
- The Aquatic Scourge occasionally summons Aquatic Seekers, Aquatic Parasites, and Aquatic Urchins.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Increases the amount of projectiles spawned by the Aquatic Scourge by roughly three times.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Aquatic Parasite||During boss fight|
|Aquatic Seeker||During boss fight|
|Aquatic Urchin||During boss fight|
Fishing Drops[edit | edit source]
|Fisherman's Pocket Guide||1||10%|
|Angler Tackle Bag||1||6.67%|
|High Test Fishing Line||1||6.67%|
|Golden Bug Net||1||5%|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Going too high (into the Space layer) or leaving the Sulphurous Sea will cause the Aquatic Scourge to enrage and gain a speed boost.
- Be wary of the Venom Debuff, as it is buffed in the Calamity Mod and will put a huge dent in your health.
- This fight is very difficult to tank. Avoid the tooth projectiles at all costs and use ranged weapons if possible.
- Avoid the head as much as possible, especially on Revengeance or Death Mode, as its high contact damage can kill the player extremely quickly.
- Absolute Zero is a somewhat effective weapon for melee users on early Hardmode (right after defeating Cryogen), but it'll require a lot of patience (and optional buffs), due to the low Hits per Second of the weapon, along with some Sentries (to speed up a little) and some dodging skills.
- Using the Chlorophyte Shotbow or the Daedalus Stormbow with Holy Arrows can easily kill the Aquatic Scourge, provided that the player has adequate dodging skills and equipment. Keep in mind that these are nerfed in the Calamity Mod.
- The Nimbus Rod paired with a mana-consuming weapon and a Mana Overloader will allow near-infinite healing, provided that the player, and therefore the Aquatic Scourge, are always underneath the nimbus clouds.
- Frosty Flares (available after defeating Cryogen), and their targeted hail effect can deal massive damage to the Aquatic Scourge.
- The Blessed Apple can help to get away from the boss if used on a flat surface/platform arena.
- The boss takes a while to turn, therefore using an item like the Counter Scarf is great for dodging the boss and its projectiles.
- The Honey Dew can be a short term solution to Venom, by switching it with other accessories temporarily to cancel the debuff.
- Spawning the Aquatic Scourge when trying to fish in the Sulphurous Sea is a good idea, as it strongly reduces enemy spawn rate while it is alive. Due to the time-consuming nature of fishing or waiting for the Scourge to spawn, it is highly likely that it will spawn while the player is fishing.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player uses a Magic Mirror or Recall Potion, the Aquatic Scourge will follow the player to their spawn point. This also can happen occasionally when the player dies.
- While this boss can spawn in Pre-Hardmode, it is not recommended to fight it until the player has acquired decent Hardmode gear since it is very fast and has many attacks that an early game player cannot handle.
- Aquatic Scourge, like Desert Scourge and The Leviathan, can drop fishing items rewarded by the Angler for completing his quests.
- It drops materials for the Victide Bar, even though they are rendered quite obsolete at this point of the game,
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme heard during the Aquatic Scourge battle is Outcast of the Sulphurous Seas which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- When the Calamity Music addon mod is disabled and the Calamity base mod enabled, Boss 2 will play instead.
- The theme is a remix of the Desert Scourge’s theme.
- Because it is a more powerful version of the Desert Scourge, many of their drops are shared. The Aquatic Scourge's weapons are upgraded versions of the Desert Scourge's weapons, as well.
- This boss and the Desert Scourge can both drop the Aero Stone, making them the only two bosses to share a drop outside of crafting materials, healing potions, or fishing items.
- The Aquatic Scourge's design was initially a redesign of the Desert Scourge made by Frous, a spriter for the mod.
- Like several other bosses in the mod, the Aquatic Scourge lacks a Mask and Trophy.
- With a passive state longer than that of Crabulon's (the Scourge will always remain passive unless attacked, Crabulon will wait a while before attacking) and it slowly following the player, then rapidly accelerating when attacked, it could be postulated that the Aquatic Scourge has some degree of intelligence or sapience; and is simply curious about the player.
- Similarly to the Siren and Leviathan, the Aquatic Scourge can be accidentally summoned in Pre-Hardmode, although the latter will not be immediately hostile.
- Since the Aquatic Scourge drops Souls of Sight, the Brimstone Elemental drops Souls of Fright and Cryogen drops Souls of Might, the Drax or Pickaxe Axe can technically be crafted as soon as you have defeated a Mechanical Boss, allowing you to utilize Chlorophyte on the other two.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The long-lost relative of The Desert Scourge mutated by the toxic sulphuric waters above the Abyss. Due to its adaptations to thrive in the sulphuric ocean and ample food supply of catfish and flounder it is far less aggressive than its relative. Those that venture to the sulphuric ocean should exercise caution, however, as this sea beast is still a carnivorous predator and will immediately attack if provoked.