|AI Type||Astrum Aureus AI|
80 / 136 / 170 / 195
Laser & Crystal:
74 / 128 / 160 / 184 (pre-Moon Lord)
480 / 552 (post-Moon Lord)
|Max Life||96,000 / 153,600 / 195,200 (pre-Moon Lord)|
704,000 (post-Moon Lord)
|Inflicts debuff||Astral Infection (debuff)|
|Debuff duration||1 second (Lasers)|
2 seconds (Crystals)
3 seconds (Contact)
|Debuff tooltip||Your flesh is burning off|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
|Coins|| 15 (pre-Moon Lord)|
30 (post-Moon Lord in Revengeance Mode)
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Stardust (20-30 / 30-40)100%
- Aureus Cell (9-12 / 12-16)100%
- Fallen Star (25-40 / 30-50)100%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- Greater Healing Potion (5-15)100%
- Astrum Aureus (Lore)(Always on first kill)100%
- Treasure Bag(Astrum Aureus)100%
- Not to be confused with Astrum Deus, a similarly-themed worm-like boss.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
When first summoned, Astrum Aureus will start in its recharging phase. While recharging, Astrum Aureus will deal no contact damage and has no defense. Once its flames ignite, Astrum Aureus will begin to attack the player and cycle through its attack pattern. At the end of each cycle, it will stop moving and enter its recharging phase again. All attacks inflict the Astral Infection debuff.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Crawls around on the ground and periodically jumps into the air above the player in an attempt to crush them or get on level ground with them.
- Shoots bursts of lasers directly at the player, firing them faster as its health decreases.
- At 50% health Astrum Aureus also:
- Launches eight astral flame crystals from itself in every direction, which fly some distance before homing in on the player. These projectiles gain increased speed and homing when the player is near them. Astral flame crystals will lose their homing capabilities after six seconds and will fly offscreen.
- Teleports near the player, this happens shortly after the crystals are fired.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Uses all attacks regardless of health.
- Gains an additional jump.
- Summons a pair of Aureus Spawns; they are initially passive, but will become homing bombs if they take enough damage.
- Once the Moon Lord is defeated, Astrum Aureus's health and projectile damage become buffed.
- Can jump through tiles.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Aureus Spawn||In Revengeance Mode or in the Boss Rush|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Once defeated, the Wizard begins selling Astral Chunks.
- Another Astral Meteor will spawn in the world.
- The Drunk Princess will begin selling Everclear, the Star Beam Rye at night, and the Bloody Mary during a Blood Moon.
- The Astral Chest will be unlockable in the Dungeon.
- Several Astral Infection enemies will drop unique items:
- The Mantis will now drop the Astral Scythe.
- The Atlas will now drop the Titan Arm.
- The Nova will begin to drop the Stellar Cannon.
- The Aries will begin to drop the Stellar Knife.
- The Astralachnea will begin to drop the Astralachnea Staff.
- The Astral Slime will begin to drop the Abandoned Slime Staff.
- The Hive will begin to drop the Hive Pod.
- The Hadarian will begin to drop Hadarian Membranes.
- The Stellar Culex will begin to drop the Starbuster Core.
- Astral Crates will contain Aureus Cells, Astral Injections, Gravity Normalizer Potions, and several items dropped by Astral Infection enemies.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Be careful straying too far from it (such as flying too high altitudes), as Astrum Aureus will despawn if it cannot teleport to the player.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating Astrum Aureus, including weapon and arena recommendations, as well as a more in-depth breakdown of the fight, see Guide:Astrum Aureus strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- Moving in a semi-circle around Astrum Aureus while it fires lasers can help the player successfully avoid them.
- The astral flame crystals gain increased velocity and homing capabilities the closer they are to the player, making it essential that the player keeps their distance from them until they launch away.
- In Revengeance Mode, avoid damaging the Aureus Spawns. They are initially harmless and will only attempt to harm the player if they take enough damage.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Both the Terra Shiv and True Ark of the Ancients have a huge advantage over Astrum Aureus due to their powerful projectiles, allowing the player to easily hit Astrum Aureus while dodging.
- The Megalodon, combined with Terra Bullets can deal excellent damage to Astrum Aureus.
- The Ballista deals massive amounts of damage to Astrum Aureus when the arrows are fired against the ground it walks on, letting all of the shrapnel from the arrows hit it.
- Using the Tears of Heaven is highly recommended due to its homing ability, allowing the player to focus more on dodging.
- The Wrath of the Ancients is an excellent support tool for Mage users while fighting Astrum Aureus.
- Both of these weapons will target the Aureus Spawns in Revengeance Mode, causing them to aggro almost immediately if the player isn't careful.
- Dormant Brimseekers and the Dreadmine Staff can be enough to quickly defeat Astrum Aureus.
- The Energy Staff works great against Astrum Aureus post-Moon Lord and, when paired with a strong Summon weapon, can easily defeat it.
- The Ballistic Poison Bomb can deal massive damage to Astrum Aureus due to its lingering projectiles.
- The Frostcrush Valari is a decent option for Rogue players as the precision of boomerangs allows the player to avoid damaging the Aureus Spawns.
- The Deep Wounder is a great support tool and damage dealer against Astrum Aureus, inflicting the powerful Armor Crunch debuff.
- The Stellar Contempt is a very strong weapon against Astrum Aureus post-Moon Lord, however the relatively short range of the weapon could mean taking more hits than usual.
- It is recommended to use Angel Treads to avoid the boss's quick attacks, and to have some sort of triple or quadruple-jump accessory such as the MOAB to dodge the boss itself.
- While being only able to fire two shots per boss fight, the Bazooka can help deal a large amount of damage to Astrum Aureus.
- The iframes on the Slime Mount's bounce or Shield of Cthulhu's charge can be used to bait and ignore the Aureus Spawn's explosion.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Astrum Aureus's theme is Interstellar Stomper, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 3 will play instead.
- Astrum Aureus replaces a removed boss, the Astrageldon Slime, which was a boss that fought much like the King Slime but was twice as big and emitted lasers in bursts at the player.
- Astrum Aureus's name roughly translates to "golden star" in Latin, although its name is actually a reference to an infectious bacteria named Staphylococcus aureus.
- Astrum Aureus's design was inspired by Security Robot B.O.X. from Metroid Fusion, as both their appearance and movements are similar, and are also both cyborgs that have been infected by a space infection.
Lore[edit | edit source]
When the Astral virus first appeared in Terraria to warp the landscape around it, the site became a phenomenon of interest to Yharim himself. What destructive power, what force of chaos, could have made such drastic changes in a phage that it could assimilate nearly any material into something similar to its own molecular structure? Commissioning Draedon to research the pathogen, Yharim had him look for a method to take advantage of the virus’ virtually alchemic traits, to see if they could be harnessed to serve his needs. Of course, Draedon’s first step was to collect samples. To accomplish this objective, he decided to once more construct an automaton to do his bidding. Although his assistants were at his disposal, he decided against it, as the environment would clearly not be suitable for humans. However, his blunder was in underestimating the enslaving factor of the Astral virus. Even the circuit boards and metal of the great machine he had built to lumber across the infected landscape and bring back subjects, succumbed to the enslaving will of the pathogen. However, this was by no means a disappointment to Draedon. To him, this was a sign of great promise, showing that the extent of the virus’ power was not limited to organic beings. Finding no need for the great machine any longer, Draedon abandoned it. Now, it stays dormant in the Astral Biomes, only awaking to protect these infections from outside threats.