|AI Type||Brimstone Elemental AI|
|Max Life||30,000 / 48,000 / 65,600 (pre-Providence)|
240,000 / 384,000 / 524,800 (post-Providence)
|Debuff duration||5 seconds (Contact)|
|Debuff tooltip||The horror...|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Phases[edit | edit source]
Brimstone ElementalPhase 1
Brimstone ElementalPhase 2
Brimstone ElementalPhase 3
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Brimstone Elemental has 3 phases which she cycles through on a timer, independent of her current health.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- She will teleport to random locations and move in towards the player, leaving behind eruptions of brimstone firedust as she travels.
- The eruptions are purely visual and deal no damage.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- She will fly around quickly above the player, rapidly firing a spread of four and Brimstone Hellfireballs down onto them.
- Projectiles in this phase inflict the Brimstone Flames debuff onto the player.
Phase 3[edit | edit source]
- She will close her rose petals to become highly resistant to damage. While in this state she will fire barrages of Brimstone Darts and . The Darts fire from her in an evenly spaced ring pattern, and the Hellblasts are fired in an accelerating shotgun pattern towards the player.
- Projectiles in this phase inflict the Abyssal Flames and Vulnerability Hex debuffs onto the player.
All Phases[edit | edit source]
- As her health gets lower she will teleport more frequently, move faster, shoot her projectiles more often, and her projectiles travel faster.
- Leaving the Brimstone Crag will cause the Brimstone Elemental to enrage, increasing her movement speed, projectile speed, and fire rate.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- Movement speed during Phase 1 is increased.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Summons Brimlings to aid her during the fight, which shoot gravity-affected fireballs at the player.
- If a Brimling is killed, a new one will quickly be spawned in its place.
- Inflicts the Horror debuff on contact in all phases.
- Movement speed during Phase 1 is increased.
- When below 50% health, the Brimstone Elemental gains the ability to fire a Brimstone Ray from her eye during Phase 1. The ray is telegraphed by a line of particles appearing roughly two seconds before it fires. The whole ray appears instantly upon being fired, but does not move or sweep after being fired, and it remains for about two seconds. This repeats three times, lasting throughout the duration of Phase 1.
- The Brimstone Elemental slows to a stop before firing the first ray.
- The Brimstone Elemental does not aim the ray directly at the player, but rather aims toward where the player is moving and will likely be by the time the ray fires. This is apparent with the particle telegraph, which constantly moves and readjusts to aim towards the predicted position.
- When below 50% health, the Brimstone Elemental loses the ability to teleport during Phase 1.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Several health-specific effects are now always active, regardless of her current health.
- The Brimstone Elemental is always able to fire rays from her eye during Phase 1.
- Projectiles always travel at maximum speed.
- She fires projectiles more often during all phases.
- Movement speed during Phase 1 is increased, and is always at maximum speed.
- When in her Phase 3 rose form, she shoots projectiles more often
- This makes close-range combat significantly more dangerous.
During the Boss Rush[edit | edit source]
- All difficulty mode changes, regardless of the world's difficulty mode.
- Teleports much more often during Phase 1.
- Movement speed during Phase 1 is greatly increased.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Always in Revengeance Mode and in the Boss Rush|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Once defeated, the Wizard will begin selling Charred Idols.
- The Brimlish will be able to be caught in the Brimstone Crag.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating the Brimstone Elemental, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Brimstone Elemental strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- If the player has an Adamantite Pickaxe or stronger, try mining out the Brimstone Slag. This will offer more mobility to dodge her attacks.
- The Brimstone Crag has very rough terrain that's easy to get stuck on, so it's a good idea to smooth out the walls, roof and ground of the arena.
- Try to move around and focus on dodging instead of attacking when she closes her petals, as her projectiles can travel through blocks and her defense is greatly increased in this phase.
- The player should be aware of their proximity to her during this phase, as the further they are from her, the faster her projectiles go.
- If the player is too close however, her projectiles will have no time to spread out, so dodging them may be harder.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Absolute Zero and the Clam Crusher deal heavy damage against the Brimstone Elemental.
- The Mineral Mortar and Megashark are very powerful all-around options.
- The Shadecrystal Barrage and Winter's Fury can both deal a good amount of damage due to their fire rate.
- The Ancient Ice Chunk and Cryogenic Staff are great summon weapons for the fight.
- Prismalline is a great option for rogue users because of its homing properties.
- The Rod of Discord can be a very valuable tool in this fight, allowing the player to more easily dodge a swarm of projectiles.
- It can also help the player get out of a sticky situation caused by getting stuck on the Brimstone Crag's uneven terrain.
- Bringing gear that can inflict Ichor is a good idea as it greatly increases damage done to the Brimstone Elemental.
- This can be even more important after defeating Providence as the Brimstone Elemental gains increased stats, therefore the fight will be much longer.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Brimstone Elemental's theme is Left Alone, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 4 will play instead.
- While some artwork depicts her as having two eyes, Brimstone Elemental is actually a cyclops. This could be because her phase one sprite's pupil stretches the height of her eye, "splitting" it into two.
- The projectiles used in her brimstone barrages are the same projectiles used in the Supreme Calamitas fight.
- Brimstone Elemental is an Alternative Mechanical boss because of her ability to drop Souls of Fright. The Aquatic Scourge and Cryogen drop Souls of Sight and Souls of Might respectively, meaning the Drax or Pickaxe Axe can be crafted after defeating only one Mechanical Boss, allowing the player to utilize Chlorophyte and Unholy Cores even before beating the other Mechanical Bosses.
- Brimstone Elemental was formerly referred to in the mod's files overall as "BrimstoneWaifu."
Lore[edit | edit source]
As the world took shape long ago, the planet's will adopted a physical form - born from the elements as they formed, becoming five as they distinguished themselves from one another. When the first of humanity discovered these creatures, they were awed by their beauty and magic. The humans worshiped the Elementals - their faith and love empowering them into nigh-goddesses. They enjoyed their newfound strength and followers for thousands of years...but as humans grew aware of and understood the world around them, they also grew disillusioned with their idols. Their religions and power dwindled over the course of centuries; the gift of magic was taken and harnessed by humans, further undermining the Elementals.
The sprite born of the Underworld's flames was the first and the strongest of the five "sisters" - the last to retain her following while the others quietly returned to the aspects of the world that gave rise to them. It wasn't meant to last; a human entered the Underworld one day, abyssal flames burning in her wake as she wielded catastrophic magic that put all of Hell itself to shame. Dispatched under the Jungle Tyrant's command, Calamitas laid waste to the civilization at the core of the planet and reduced it to smoldering rubble in a single night. What had once been the capital of the Underworld was left a foul blackened monument whose unholy energy cursed all who set foot upon it.
That Elemental was no match for Calamitas. Barely clinging to life after the witch tired of her massacre and vanished, what had once been a goddess in all but name was reduced to a mere beast fighting for survival within the twisted ruins of the capital - kept alive by little more than her natural affinity with the chaotic magic that lingered within the crags. Her few remaining followers lost in a human's seemingly pointless slaughter, the Brimstone Elemental swore that humanity would be her enemy until the end of time; any attempt to worship her doubtless a mockery for which she would use all her power to kill the perpetrator, no matter how pitiable a shadow she was of her former self.