- Not to be confused with the superboss Supreme Calamitas.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Calamitas will behave primarily like Retinazer, firing lasers and chasing the player. At different points throughout the fight, she will summon minions and her brothers to assist her.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- Acts like Retinazer but more powerful, firing Brimstone Lasers which inflict the Brimstone Flames debuff and increase in velocity as they travel. Lasers split into three quick lasers after 1 second, which begin homing after a few seconds. The split lasers can go through blocks, but the initial lasers can't
- When Calamitas reaches 75% of her health, she goes into her second phase and regenerates all of her health.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- Calamitas becomes enraged, and begins firing Brimstone Hellfireballs that accelerate over time and explode on contact with tiles, alongside her regular laser attacks. Calamitas fires more frequently as her health lowers.
- Upon reaching 70% of her new health bar, she summons the fleshy brother Cataclysm. Cataclysm will alternate between breathing a brimstone flamethrower and charging at the player three times.
- Cataclysm will not fire anything until shortly after spawning, to prevent cheap hits.
- Calamitas herself will stop firing Brimstone Lasers while brothers are alive.
- When Calamitas' health reaches 40%, she summons the metallic brother Catastrophe. Catastrophe will alternate between spitting bouncing brimstone fireballs and quickly charging at the player four times.
- Catastrophe will not fire anything until shortly after spawning, to prevent cheap hits.
- When Calamitas' health reaches 35%, she will summon an orbiting ring of five Soul Seekers around her. While Soul Seekers are alive, laser-firing Life Seekers will periodically spawn. The spawn rate of Life Seekers scales with the number of remaining Soul Seekers.
- When Calamitas' health reaches 10%, she will resurrect both of her brothers simultaneously.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- Calamitas' brothers MUST be defeated for her to take reasonable damage again.
- Calamitas and her brothers attack and shoot more aggressively.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Calamitas and her brothers inflict the Horror debuff on contact. Her brothers also inflict Marked.
- Calamitas and her brothers attack and shoot even more aggressively.
- When Calamitas' health is below 70%, she charges at the player twice following her laser and fireball attacks whenever no brothers are alive.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Calamitas shoots even more aggressively.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Soul Seeker||At 35% health|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Once defeated, enemies in the Abyss begin dropping Depth Cells and Lumenyl.
- Tenebris will begin spreading into nearby Planty Mush in the Abyss.
- The Bandit will begin selling the Deep Wounder.
- The Floodtide will be obtainable via Fishing.
- Reapers and Psychos will begin dropping Solar Veils.
- The same occurs if Plantera is defeated before Calamitas.
- Aquatic Aberrations and Paraseas begin spawning in the Ocean.
- The same occurs if Plantera is defeated before Calamitas.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating Calamitas, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Calamitas strategies.
- Making a large circle around Calamitas with the help of platforms will allow you to dodge many of her attacks.
- Calamitas’ brothers can quickly overwhelm you especially on Revengeance or Death Mode, make sure to deal with them as quickly as possible.
- Melee weapons that fire projectiles such as the Ark of the Ancients and Catastrophe Claymore can effectively defeat Calamitas.
- The Chlorophyte Shotbow paired with Ichor Arrows is a great choice for rangers due to its high overall damage output and ability to inflict ichor.
- The Brimrose Staff is a powerfull all-around magic weapon for Calamitas and her brothers.
- The Golden Gun and the Lunic Eye are two very powerful support weapons for fighting against Calamitas, because of their abilities to inflict devastating debuffs.
- The Deepsea Staff and Cryogenic Staff are effective weapons for summoners, especially when paired with Spider armor.
- The Kelvin Catalyst works great against Calamitas, her brothers, and even the soul seekers because of its ability to pierce multiple targets and their vulnerability to the Frostburn debuff.
- The Pwnagehammer can deal excellent damage against Calamitas and her brothers because of its fast use time.
- The Brimblade is an excellent weapon against Calamitas for rogues, especially when stacked together as they can decimate her, her brothers and the soul seekers.
- Use a Rod of Discord to avoid the brothers when they spawn to avoid any unnecessary contact damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme heard during the first phase of Calamitas is Boss 2. If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, it will play for the whole fight.
- The theme heard during the second phase of Calamitas is Raw, Unfiltered Calamity, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- Prior to her current theme being introduced, her theme during the second phase was a remix of the Boss 2 theme made by silentzorah.
- The song features motifs from previous bosses in the Calamity Mod:
- Guardian of the Former Seas / Outcast of the Sulphurous Seas (Desert Scourge / Aquatic Scourge) are remade into the song's introduction.
- Blood Coagulant (The Perforators) can be heard at 0:44, but is rarely acknowledged as it is very subtle in the song's background.
- Antarctic Reinforcement (Cryogen) plays at 1:01 into the song.
- 1NF3$+@+!0N (Crabulon) plays at 1:23.
- Return to Slime (The Slime God) plays at 1:45.
- The Filthy Mind (The Hive Mind) plays at 2:06.
- Left Alone (Brimstone Elemental) plays at 2:28.
- Calamitas is Latin for "disaster".
- The names of Calamitas and her brothers all denote a kind of violent event or destruction, all of which start with the letter C (Calamitas, Catastrophe, and Cataclysm).
- When she is defeated, her death message reads "The Calamitas Clone has been defeated!"
- Reinforcing this, her entry on the official Calamity Mod forum post and her lore item refers to her as "Calamitas Clone" as well. These, along with the lore item's mention of the "bloody inferno" still lingering, are foreshadowing Supreme Calamitas.
- In previous versions of the mod, the death message was "A Calamitas Doppelganger has been defeated!"
- As a result, Calamitas is often referred to as "Clonelamitas" by the community.
- The quote said by Calamitas "Impressive child, most impressive" is likely a reference to Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, who says the line "Impressive, Jack, most impressive".
- Prior to her current lore entry, Calamitas used the lore entry that is currently used by Supreme Calamitas.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Absolute mastery over the forces of darkness. Enough magical power to reduce whole oceans to barren deserts. The bane of the Underworld. It was with great reason that such a powerful witch, whose very title became synonymous with the disaster she heralded, was considered the prized jewel of Yharim's world-conquering forces. If she were to rebel, she would slaughter anything Yharim threw at her unless he himself confronted her - and even then, the outcome was questionable. He needed insurance in the form of an unwaveringly loyal countermeasure.
The many attempts to clone Yharon were a colossal failure, but the knowledge gleaned from them became immensely valuable. Personally overseen by the Jungle Tyrant, another project was silently initiated to produce clones of Calamitas. Physical shells were molded and artificial souls filled them, derived from past experiments and Calamitas’ own brand of necromancy. The resulting child of science and dark magic would inevitably be weaker than the original, but that too would be beneficial in its own right.
However, even with the utmost secrecy enforced by Yharim’s efforts, they underestimated the capabilities of the witch. When the project’s lead necromancer was lost in a disaster gathering souls from the depths of hell, Calamitas took an interest in the skilled mage’s demise and personally dredged his soul from the void of death. Although his thoughts were reduced to mad gibberish, she tore enough knowledge from his fragmented mind to confirm her growing suspicions of Yharim.
The tyrant’s fear was realized; she betrayed him. Loosed into the Temple by Calamitas, the reactivated Golem’s trail of chaos swept through their hidden laboratory and breached the developing clone’s containment. Yharim’s forces swiftly destroyed the rampaging machine, but the damage was done. The clone created as a contingency against Calamitas’ betrayal had escaped - freed after inciting that very betrayal. That replica aimlessly roams the night with no will and no purpose, knowing nothing but to act and fight exactly as it was designed to from birth.