|Environment||Glowing Mushroom biome|
|AI Type||Crabulon AI|
40 / 64 / 80 / 92 (Contact)
28 / 44 / 55 / 63 (Mushroom)
40 / 80 / 96 / 105 (Slam)
|Max Life||3,000 / 4,800 / 6,400|
|Buff duration||Infinite (while passive)|
|Buff tooltip||Increased defense and life regen|
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
When spawned, Crabulon will be passive towards the player, completely still and dealing no contact damage. While Crabulon is passive, the player is granted the Mushy buff, increasing defense by 5 and life regen by 1. It will become hostile if the player attacks it or after a few seconds have passed.
Once hostile, Crabulon will begin walking around and jumping at the player, all while firing series of mushroom spore projectiles. It also starts summoning small Crab Shroom minions, which slowly float downward while drifting towards the player.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Launches mushroom spores at the player, which are affected by gravity.
- Damage and speed of the mushrooms increases at 50% health and again at 10% health.
- Slams its claw onto the ground, dealing damage around it. After stomping the ground, Crabulon jumps towards the player.
- Spawns drifting Crab Shrooms as it takes damage.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Crab Shrooms drift quicker and fall faster.
- Falling walls of evenly-spaced Crab Shrooms are occasionally summoned above Crabulon.
- Crab Shroom walls are slightly tilted below 50% health.
- Crabulon jumps and moves faster.
- When Crabulon is below 50% health, it performs two small jumps instead of one in its pattern.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Crabulon always performs double the small jumps in its pattern.
- Crabulon jumps higher and summons more Crab Shrooms with increased velocity.
- Crab Shroom walls are always slightly tilted.
- Fires sprays of mushroom spores more frequently.
Summons[edit | edit source]
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Crabulon is stuck and cannot get to the player, it can swim through blocks, similarly to the Mourning Wood and Everscream.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating Crabulon, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Crabulon strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- The player should try to stay above Crabulon, as its stomp attacks deal great amounts of damage. However, be wary of Crabulon's other attacks like its exploding mushrooms and Crab Shrooms.
- Avoid staying directly above Crabulon as many projectiles come from it and go upwards.
- In Revengeance and Death Mode, move slowly during Crabulon's falling mushroom wall attack in order to easily dodge them.
- This attack always happens on Crabulon's 3rd jump.
- Summoning Crabulon in an artificial Glowing Mushroom biome above ground can offer much more room for dodging than summoning Crabulon underground.
- Crabulon does not enrage when taken out of the Glowing Mushroom biome, meaning the player can make an arena near an underground biome and lure the boss to it.
- The player can also make use of the Glowing Mushroom Planetoid this way, either fighting Crabulon in Space or falling down with it and fighting it on the ground.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- The Bladecrest Oathsword's projectiles and base damage make for a great weapon that can make quick work of Crabulon.
- Amidias' Trident is also a good, safe weapon that can be consistently obtained without much work.
- The Barinade can make quick work of the Crab Shrooms and Crabulon provided the player has ranger-boosting accessories equipped.
- The Minishark is also a good weapon that gives the player great control, a perfect option for players that prefer guns.
- The Frost Bolt and Coral Spout are extremely effective against Crabulon.
- The Magical Conch can be very effective due to Crabulon being a fairly immobile and land-locked target, only being able to use its jumps to get away.
- The Sun Spirit Staff is a great summon to have out for support as it can fend off the incoming mushroom swarm using its knockback and damage.
- Sticky Spiky Balls and the Seafoam Bomb are great options for Crabulon itself. Crystalline is also effective at dealing with both the mushrooms and Crabulon.
- Accessories that boost jumping such as Cloud in a Bottle, Frog Leg and Aero Stone can be a powerful asset to the player, making dodging easier.
- If the player has gotten the opportunity to make it, the Bundle of Balloons is by far the best accessory for vertical movement that can be obtained at this stage of the game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Crabulon's theme is 1NF3$+@+!0N, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- When 1NF3$+@+!0N is played through a vectorscope, portions of the song create shapes that resemble mushrooms.
- The theme's name is read "Infestation".
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 4 will play instead.
- In previous versions of the mod, Crabulon's stomp attack was able to destroy non-glowing mushroom biome blocks.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Calamitas' legendary ocean incineration killed off countless creatures, boiling them alive or leaving them for dead in an inhospitable environment. The large but docile crabs that once roamed the ocean floor sought refuge underground; instinct guided them to the dank caves most resembling their former habitat...but it was simply not enough. The crabs perished in fields of luminescent mushrooms, their corpses becoming host to innumerable fungi. Only the barest scraps of meat remain in their parasite-ridden husks, compelled to move and feed even in death.