|Environment||Glowing Mushroom biome|
|AI Type||Crabulon AI|
40 / 64 / 80 / 88 (Contact)
32 / 48 / 60 / 68 (Mushroom)
40 / 80 / 96 / 108 (Slam)
|Max Life||3,000 / 4,800 / 6,400|
|Buff duration||Infinite (while passive)|
|Buff tooltip||Increased defense and life regen|
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
When spawned, Crabulon will be passive towards the player, completely still and dealing no contact damage. While Crabulon is passive, the player is granted the Mushy buff, increasing defense by 5 and life regen by 1. It will become hostile if the player attacks it or after seven seconds have passed.
Once hostile, Crabulon will begin walking around and jumping at the player, all while firing series of mushroom projectiles. It also starts summoning small Crab Shroom minions, which slowly float downward while drifting towards the player.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Every 5.375 seconds while idling, launches one Mushroom Shot at the player, which is affected by gravity.
- After 6 seconds of idling, repeatedly slam its claws around. While in this animation, Crabulon jumps towards the player three times each with a five-second delay.
- When 5% of its health is lost, the resulting hit launches 2 / 2-3 / 3 Crab Shrooms upwards.
- Crab Shrooms drift back and forth around the player, and have a constant falling acceleration.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- Gains the ability to leap through solid tiles.
- When below 66% health:
- The number of Mushroom Shots increases from one to three
- Fires Mushroom Shots 33.33% faster
- Increases horizontal and projectile speed
- Reduces the delay between jumps by 80%
- Jumps four times instead of three
- When below 33% health:
- The number of Mushroom Shots increases from three to six
- Fires Mushroom Shots 40% faster
- Increases horizontal and projectile speed
- Reduces the delay between jumps by 40%
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- A wall of 20 evenly-spaced Falling Mushrooms is summoned 56.25 tiles above Crabulon on every final jump it makes in each sequence.
- Mushroom walls are slightly tilted below 66% health. The direction of the tilt corresponds to the direction of the player relative to the boss.
- Crabulon's jumps scale in height based on vertical distance to the player and attempts to intercept them if they are moving.
- Each jump varies in length and delay.
- The first jump is normal in length and delay.
- The second jump is higher and slightly shorter delay.
- The third jump is lower and very short delay.
- The fourth jump is lower but longer and extremely short delay.
- Crab Shrooms have a 25% higher terminal fall speed.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Idles for less time the lower its health, up to two seconds less.
- Moves faster, and even faster as its health decreases.
Summons[edit | edit source]
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Crabulon is stuck and cannot get to the player, it can swim through blocks, similarly to the Mourning Wood and Everscream.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating Crabulon, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Crabulon strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- The player should try to stay above Crabulon, as its stomp attacks deal great amounts of damage. However, be wary of Crabulon's other attacks like its exploding mushrooms and Crab Shrooms.
- Avoid staying directly above Crabulon as many projectiles come from it and go upwards.
- In Revengeance and Death Mode, move slowly during Crabulon's falling mushroom wall attack in order to easily dodge them.
- This attack always happens on Crabulon's 3rd jump.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- The Bladecrest Oathsword's projectiles and base damage make for a great weapon that can make quick work of Crabulon.
- Amidias' Trident is also a good, safe weapon that can be consistently obtained without much work.
- The Barinade can make quick work of the Crab Shrooms and Crabulon provided the player has ranger-boosting accessories equipped.
- The Minishark is also a good weapon that gives the player great control, a perfect option for players that prefer guns.
- The Frost Bolt and Coral Spout are extremely effective against Crabulon.
- The Magical Conch can be very effective due to Crabulon being a fairly immobile and land-locked target, only being able to use its jumps to get away.
- The Sun Spirit Staff is a great summon to have out for support as it can fend off the incoming mushroom swarm using its knockback and damage.
- Sticky Spiky Balls and the Seafoam Bomb are great options for Crabulon itself. Crystalline is also effective at dealing with both the mushrooms and Crabulon.
- Accessories that boost jumping such as Cloud in a Bottle, Frog Leg and Aero Stone can be a powerful asset to the player, making dodging easier.
- If the player has gotten the opportunity to make it, the Bundle of Balloons is by far the best accessory for vertical movement that can be obtained at this stage of the game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Crabulon's theme is 1NF3$+@+!0N, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- When 1NF3$+@+!0N is played through a vectorscope, portions of the song create shapes that resemble mushrooms.
- The theme's name is read "Infestation".
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 4 will play instead.
- In previous versions of the mod, Crabulon's stomp attack was able to destroy non-glowing mushroom biome blocks.
- Crabulon is often referred to as "The Perfect One" in the player base in reference to its former lore where it was given the title.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Calamitas' legendary ocean incineration killed off countless creatures, boiling them alive or leaving them for dead in an inhospitable environment. The large but docile crabs that once roamed the ocean floor sought refuge underground; instinct guided them to the dank caves most resembling their former habitat...but it was simply not enough. The crabs perished in fields of luminescent mushrooms, their corpses becoming host to innumerable fungi. Only the barest scraps of meat remain in their parasite-ridden husks, compelled to move and feed even in death.