|Environment||Snow biome – Ice biome|
|AI Type||Cryogen AI|
|Damage||50 / 90 / 112 / 128 (Contact)|
75 / 135 / 168 / 193 (Contact - Derping out)
46 / 80 / 100 / 115 (Ice Blast)
52 / 92 / 115 / 132 (Ice Rain)
100 / 125 / 143 (Ice Bomb)
|Max Life||17,900 / 28,640 / 42,080|
|Debuff duration||2 seconds (Contact and Ice bomb)|
1.5 seconds (Frost bolts)
1 second (Ice shards)
|Debuff tooltip||It's either really hot or really cold. Either way it REALLY hurts|
|Debuff duration||1.5 seconds (Contact and Ice bomb)|
1 seconds (Frost bolts)
0.5 second (Ice shards)
|Debuff tooltip||Your movement speed has been reduced|
|Debuff duration||0.5 seconds (Frost bolts)|
|Debuff tooltip||You can't move!|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- (20-40 / 25-40)100%
- (4-8 / 5-9)100%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Cryogen does not spawn on its own and requires the player to summon it with a Cryo Key while in the Snow biome at any time of day.
Upon summoning Cryogen, the Rain event will be activated, subsequently starting the Blizzard event, obscuring the player's vision. The rain/blizzard cannot be deactivated, using the Torrential Tear or otherwise, until the fight is over.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Cryogen has six phases, each of which has its own attack pattern and AI. It will progress through these phases as it loses health.
Cryogen also spawns with an ice shield which protects it and inflicts contact damage; this shield must be destroyed to directly attack Cryogen and will regenerate shortly after being destroyed. When destroyed, the shield will explode into a star-shaped burst of frost bolts.
Throughout the fight, it will also summon Cryocores and Aurora Spirits upon taking damage. In addition it will summon invincible ice bombs which fly away from it and explode into ice shards after some time or upon hitting a surface.
Leaving the Snow biome will cause Cryogen to enrage, increasing its movement speed by roughly two times.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- It will begin to rain/snow.
- Chases players and fires star-shaped bursts of frost bolts.
- Periodically releases ice bombs that explode into ice shards after a few seconds.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- Transitions at 83% health.
- Cryogen attempts to fly above the player while continuing to fire star-shaped bursts of frost bolts and ice bombs.
- If Cryogen gets directly above the player, it will rain ice shards down on them.
Phase 3[edit | edit source]
- Transitions at 66% health.
- Cryogen attempts to fly level with the player.
- Continues firing star-shaped bursts of frost bolts and ice bombs.
- Fires bursts of ice shards which fly some distance in front of it before raining down.
Phase 4[edit | edit source]
- Transitions at 49% health.
- Cryogen attempts to fly above the player
- Continues trying to release ice bombs and rain ice shards on them.
- Stops firing frost bolts but fires bursts of ice shards far more frequently.
Phase 5[edit | edit source]
- Transitions at 32% health.
- Cryogen chases the player.
- Stops firing ice shards but resumes firing star-shaped barrages of frost bolts.
- Continues to periodically release ice bombs.
- Every few seconds, Cryogen will teleport somewhere near the player and start attacking again. It is intangible and cannot hurt the player while teleporting.
- Loses the ability to regenerate its ice shield to prevent cheap hits.
Phase 6[edit | edit source]
- Transitions at 15% health.
- The status message "Cryogen is derping out!" will appear in the chat, and Cryogen will visually shatter and take on a new appearance.
- Cryogen will suddenly pick up speed and begin charging erratically, attempting to ram the player.
- Stops firing frost bolts but continues to release ice bombs.
- The rain/snow will stop when Cryogen is defeated.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen gains massive attack and defense boosts as health depletes.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Fires projectiles faster.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Summons more minions in all phases.
Summons[edit | edit source]
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Once Cryogen is defeated for the first time, Cryonic Ore spawns in the Ice biome.
- Cryo Slimes will begin to spawn in the Cavern layer.
- The Archmage will begin to arrive if provided suitable housing.
- If the Archmage isn't in the player's current world, he will drop alongside Cryogen's loot.
- The Angry Dog enemy's stats are increased and will start dropping Essence of Eleum.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen will not cause it to rain/snow during the Boss Rush.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating Cryogen, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Cryogen strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- A wide arena with several levels of platforms can help in dodging Cryogen's attacks.
- Putting a roof of solid blocks above the platforms can help protect you during Cryogen's second phase.
- Be careful: Building platforms too far above the ground could cause the player to exit the Snow biome and enrage Cryogen, doubling its speed.
- Moving at a consistent speed will cause Cryogen to hover in the same place relative to the player, making it an easy target for ranged weapons.
- Moving slowly enough will cause Cryogen to hover directly above the player, this makes it very easy to hit, but be wary of its ice bombs and it potentially getting up close.
- Avoid getting hit by Cryogen's frost bolts at all costs as they will freeze the player, possibly leading to a swift death.
- Cryogen's final phase is its most deadly. If on Revengeance or Death Mode, saving Rage and/or Adrenaline to quickly finish it off during this phase could be a life-saving decision.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- The Clam Crusher and Axe of Purity can deal high damage at a decent range.
- Roxcalibur is another option with heavy damage, although it has a slow swing speed and aiming its projectiles can be hard.
- Both the Flarewing Bow and Onyx Blaster are extremely good ranged weapons for this fight, especially when paired with Ichor Arrows and Bullets.
- The Crystal Flare Staff and Death Valley Duster can deal great damage to Cryogen and have no issues destroying his servants.
- The Ancient Ice Chunk and Black Hawk Remote are great summons against Cryogen.
- Keep in mind that summons won’t always attack Cryogen, opting to attack its servants instead.
- Prismalline and Blazing Stars can deal good damage to Cryogen.
- The Titanium armor's set bonus can be a great asset to the player, giving them the ability to dodge some of Cryogen's many potentially deadly attacks.
- Warmth Potions grant immunity to the Chilled and Frozen debuffs as well as reducing damage from Cryogen's attacks, making them very valuable for the entire battle.
- The Ankh Shield also grants immunity to the Chilled debuff.
- Being able to jump up and over Cryogen during his last phase is extremely useful, Wings paired with a jump boosting accessory like the Grand Gelatin can help with this.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen's theme is Antarctic Reinforcement, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- While in production the theme was originally intended to be called "Frostbite."
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, the Frost Moon's theme will play instead.
- Cryogen is an Alternative Mechanical boss because of its ability to drop Souls of Might. The Aquatic Scourge and Brimstone Elemental drop Souls of Sight and Souls of Fright respectively, meaning the Drax or Pickaxe Axe can be crafted after defeating only one Mechanical Boss, allowing the player to utilize Chlorophyte and Unholy Cores even before beating the other Mechanical Bosses.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Yharim's prison for the archmage of the ice castle, Cryogen. It is a representation of Yharim's bitter hatred for the master of ice. When Yharim was young he ventured from the jungle temple to the ancient tundra where Permafrost resided. Yharim asked to learn from him in order to "peacefully" calm the denizens of the underworld. But the archmage saw through his ruse and viewed only bitter contempt within Yharim's heart and the fiery urge to annihilate the underworld obsidian towers and their inhabitants. When the archmage refused, Yharim prepared to take his leave. However, the archmage had not realized that Yharim had a contingency plan in place; around his dwelling a massive trap had been set. A magic circle of runes set to trap the power of whatever was caught inside. Permafrost suspected nothing, until the moment the runes activated, causing his castle to collapse inwards, trapping his body in a radial structure between dimensions. Cryogen is what remains, a mindless frozen structure contained by Yharim due to its uncontrollable nature and powerful magic.