|AI Type||Cryogen AI|
|Damage||60 / 96 / 120 / 150 (melee)|
25 / 100 / 125 (ice shield)
46 / 80 / 100 (frost blast)
52 / 92 / 115 (ice shard)
88 / 110 / 137 (ice bomb)
|Max Life||17,900 / 28,640 / 42,080 / 59,040|
|Defense (DR)||10 (10% DR)|
|Debuff duration||1.67 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||It's either really hot or really cold. Either way it REALLY hurts.|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- (20-40 / 25-40)100%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- (100-150)25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Cryogen does not spawn on its own and requires the player to summon it with a Cryo Key while in the Snow biome at any time of day.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Cryogen has six phases, each of which has its own attack pattern and AI. It will progress through these phases as it loses health.
Cryogen also spawns with an ice shield which protects it and inflicts contact damage; this shield has 1,200 health, must be destroyed to directly attack Cryogen and will regenerate shortly after being destroyed. When destroyed, the shield will explode into a star-shaped burst of frost bolts.
Throughout the fight, it will also summon Cryocores and Aurora Spirits upon taking damage. In addition it will summons invincible ice bombs which fly away from it and explode into ice shards after some time or upon hitting a surface.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- Chases players and fires star-shaped bursts of frost bolts.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- It will begin to rain/snow.
- Cryogen attempts to fly above the player while firing star-shaped bursts of frost bolts.
- If Cryogen gets directly above the player, it will rain ice shards down on them.
Phase 3[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen attempts to fly level with the player.
- Continues firing star-shaped bursts of frost bolts and attempting to rain ice shards on the player.
- Fires bursts of ice shards which fly some distance in front of it before raining down.
Phase 4[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen attempts to fly above the player
- Continues trying to rain ice shards on them.
- Stops firing frost bolts but fires bursts of ice shards far more frequently.
Phase 5[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen chases the player.
- Stops firing ice shards but resumes firing star-shaped barrages of frost bolts.
- Every few seconds, Cryogen will teleport somewhere near the player and start attacking again. It is intangible and cannot hurt the player while teleporting.
- Loses the ability to regenerate its ice shield to prevent cheap hits.
Phase 6[edit | edit source]
- The status message "Cryogen is derping out!" will appear in the chat, and Cryogen will visually shatter and take on a new appearance.
- Cryogen will suddenly pick up speed and begin charging erratically, attempting to ram the player.
- The rain/snow will stop when Cryogen is defeated.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen gains massive attack and defense boosts as health depletes.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Summons more minions in all phases.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Aurora Spirit||Phase 2 & above|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Once Cryogen is defeated for the first time, Cryonic Ore spawns in the Underground Snow biome.
- The Archmage will begin to arrive if provided suitable housing.
- If the Archmage isn't in the player's current world, he will drop alongside Cryogen's loot.
- The Angry Dog enemy's stats are increased.
- The Wizard will begin selling Cryo Keys.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Leaving the Snow biome will cause Cryogen to enrage, increasing its movement speed and becoming invulnerable to damage.
- A wide arena with several levels of platforms can help with dodging its attacks. Putting in one or two minor platforms of solid blocks can help protect you and allow you to change direction when dealing with its second phase.
- Moving slowly on a platform can help keep Cryogen above you, which can be useful for dealing quick damage with ranged weapons; make sure to have a way of dodging it when it comes too close.
- Avoid being hit by Cryogen and its icicles at all costs, as the Glacial State inflicted by them could lead to the player becoming stunlocked and easy prey to Cryogen's attacks.
- When playing on Revengeance or Death Mode, save Rage and/or Adrenaline for Cryogen's final stage to avoid its large collision damage.
- The True Caustic Edge can deal massive damage to Cryogen, as it has the ability to inflict the On Fire! debuff.
- The Butcher can quickly decimate Cryogen and its ice shield, keep in mind that the weapon has almost no knockback, making it a hassle to defeat Aurora Spirits and Cryocores.
- Using the Crystal Storm or Relic of Ruin can deal great consistent damage to Cryogen.
- A mix of Ancient Ice Chunk and the Queen Spider Staff can make great work of Cryogen but, keep in mind that summons won’t always attack Cryogen, instead opting to attack its summons instead.
- Rogue consumables such as the Ichor Spear or Titanium Shurikens can deal good damage to Cryogen.
- Weapons that inflict Armor Crunch such as the Earthen Pike, the Slag Magnum, and the Spear of Paleolith can be a vital tool during this fight.
- The weapons found in the Abyss’ Shadow Chest can still be a viable option to the player, despite that fact that they are pre-hardmode weapons.
- Titanium armor is a good choice for this fight as it is a powerful asset for avoiding Cryogen's many projectiles with its set bonus.
- The Warmth Potion grants immunity to Chilled, Frozen, and Glacial State in the Calamity Mod, making it a good tool for surviving Cryogen's debuffs.
- An Ankh Shield can also grant immunity to Chilled.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cryogen's theme is Antarctic Reinforcement, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- When the Calamity Music addon mod is disabled and the Calamity base mod enabled, The Frost Moon's theme will play instead.
- While in production the theme was originally intended to be called "Frostbite."
- Since the Aquatic Scourge drops Souls of Sight, the Brimstone Elemental drops Souls of Fright and Cryogen drops Souls of Might, the Drax or Pickaxe Axe can technically be crafted as soon as you have defeated a Mechanical Boss, allowing you to utilize Chlorophyte on the other two.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Yharim's prison for the magic of the ice castle, Cryogen, is a representation of Yharim's bitter cold hatred for the Archmage of Ice. When Yharim was young, he ventured from the jungle temple to the ancient ice temple where the archmage Permafrost resided. Yharim asked to learn from him in order to "peacefully" calm the denizens of the underworld. But the archmage saw through his ruse and viewed only bitter contempt within Yharim's heart and the fiery urge to annihilate the underworld obsidian towers and their inhabitants. When the archmage refused Yharim kindly took his leave, bowing to the archmage and returning to his home. However, the archmage had not realized that Yharim had a contingency plan in place; Yharim had expertly placed magical runes hidden in a pocket dimension right outside the ice temple. Within minutes after Yharim took his leave, he activated the runes, causing the entire ice temple to be enveloped in pure darkness. Cryogen is what remains, a mindless frozen structure that was once trapped by Yharim due to its uncontrollable nature and powerful magic. Little does the Terrarian know that defeating the Wall of Flesh will rouse far more than mere spirits upon its' defeat...