- Not to be confused with Death, which is the item that activates this gamemode.
|The Death Mode icon as seen in the Difficulty Indicator UI.|
Death Mode is the second gamemode introduced in the Calamity Mod, serving as an increased difficulty level to Revengeance Mode. It is activated by using the Death item, which can be crafted at any Altar and does not have any ingredients.
Attempting to activate it in a world without Revengeance Mode will have no effect. Death Mode can be deactivated and activated at will. Attempting to activate or deactivate Death Mode while a boss is alive will display a status message and will have no effect. While active, the Death Mode icon will be shown on the top of the Difficulty Indicator, replacing the Revengeance Mode icon.
- 1 General Changes
- 2 Enemy AI Changes
- 3 Boss AI Changes
- 3.1 Pre-Hardmode
- 3.2 Hardmode
- 3.2.1 Cryogen
- 3.2.2 The Twins
- 3.2.3 Brimstone Elemental
- 3.2.4 The Destroyer
- 3.2.5 Aquatic Scourge
- 3.2.6 Skeletron Prime
- 3.2.7 Calamitas
- 3.2.8 Plantera
- 3.2.9 Anahita and Leviathan
- 3.2.10 Astrum Aureus
- 3.2.11 Golem
- 3.2.12 The Plaguebringer Goliath
- 3.2.13 Duke Fishron
- 3.2.14 Ravager
- 3.2.15 Lunatic Cultist
- 3.2.16 Astrum Deus
- 3.2.17 Moon Lord
- 3.3 Post-Moon Lord
- 4 Unique Items
- 5 Messages
- 6 See Also
General Changes[edit | edit source]
- Enemy damage boost from Revengeance Mode is further boosted by 60%.
- For example, if Revengeance Mode boosts damage by 10%, Death Mode will boost by an additional 6%.
- Bosses will randomly spawn if their respective conditions are met and if not killed once. This will be forewarned one minute in advance with a status message stating "Something is approaching...".
- This has a cooldown of 24 minutes (one in-game day).
- To work out which boss will be spawned, look at the table below for the first boss that hasn't been defeated. If its conditions are met, then this boss will be the one that is spawned.
- Bosses will not randomly spawn until the player has 300 or more max HP.
- The chance of a boss spawning is 0.002% (1 in 50,000) every frame.
- This translates to a 0.12% chance (1 in 833.83) every second, or a 6.9% chance (1 in 14.39) every minute.
- The Nurse will refuse to heal the player if a boss is currently alive.
- All damage over time debuffs deal 50% more damage.
Boss Spawn Conditions[edit | edit source]
To work out which boss will be spawned, look at the table below for the first boss that hasn't been defeated. If its conditions are met, then this boss will be the one that is spawned.
Environmental Effects[edit | edit source]
- While the player is in the Snow biome during a blizzard without cold immunity gear, they will be slowed down, with the slowness getting more intense the longer they remain in the blizzard. After 30 seconds the player will freeze, and then die 3 seconds later.
- The player will be slowed and frozen at double the rate if the player is also submerged in water without wearing Arctic Diving Gear or equipment which inherits its effects.
- The slowness effect gradually fades away over time after the player exits the blizzard. The speed it fades away can be increased by equipping cold immunity gear or by entering The Underworld. Being submerged in lava while in the Underworld increases the speed even faster.
- While in The Underworld without heat immunity gear, the player will be sequentially inflicted with new continuous debuffs every 6 seconds, in the order: Weak, Slow, On Fire!, Confused, and then Burning after a total of 30 seconds.
- The debuffs gradually fade away over time after the player exits the Underworld. The speed they fade away can be increased by equipping heat immunity gear or by entering a blizzard. Being submerged in water during a blizzard increases the speed even faster.
- While in the Space biome, the player will be inflicted with Burning during the day and Frostburn during the night, without respective heat and cold immunity gear.
- Note that all environmental effects exclusive to Death Mode can be nullified by standing in front of any type of wall, both natural and manually-placed.
- All of the above environmental effects are disabled while a boss is alive.
- While in water in the Jungle, the player will be inflicted with the Bleeding debuff, which remains for 5 seconds after exiting the water.
- The Underground and Cavern layers become darker the deeper the player gets. This can be mitigated with light-generating equipment.
- The darkness is akin to light-diminishing debuffs like Darkness and Blackout, reducing the effectiveness of light sources and intensifying darkness in the absence of light.
- The darkness begins to dissipate once the player gets near the Underworld, and starts getting progressively lighter the deeper the player gets, until it is fully dissipated by the time they enter the Underworld.
- Abyss light level requirements are increased by 25%.
- Thorny bushes inflict various debuffs depending on what biome they are in:
- Spikes inflict Bleeding for 5 seconds.
- Wooden Spikes inflict Venom for 5 seconds.
- Several environmental hazards occasionally spawn near the player while under certain conditions. They are disabled while a boss is alive.
- Lightning periodically strikes while it is raining, dealing 200 damage and inflicting Electrified for 2 seconds. These lightning strikes are preceded with sparks appearing on the ground where they will strike.
- Icicles fall from the sky during a blizzard, dealing 100 damage and inflicting Frostburn for 1 second and Chilled for 0.5 seconds.
- Lava geysers erupt from lava in the Underworld, dealing 100 damage.
- Brimstone Flame geysers erupt from lava in the Brimstone Crag, dealing 100 damage and inflicting Brimstone Flames for 2 seconds.
- Sharknadoes spawn on the Ocean surface and Cthulhunadoes spawn during rain, dealing 125 and 250 damage respectively.
- Blood Moons boost all spawn rates by 400% and maximum spawn count by 900%. This effect stacks with other spawn rate modifiers.
- The Astral Infection biome decreases the effect of gravity on the player, similar to the Space biome.
- This can be negated with a Gravity Normalizer Potion.
- The Astral Infection biome has a more intense purple haze effect on the screen.
- This effect does not appear when in Retro or Trippy color modes.
Temperature Protective Gear[edit | edit source]
Underground Lighting Gear[edit | edit source]
These items can be used to reduce the effects of darkness while underground. With a total light level of 1, the darkness is reduced by 25%. At level 2, it's instead reduced by 45%. At level 3, it's reduced by 65%. At level 4, it's reduced by 85%. At level 5, the darkness effect is cleared entirely.
Enemy AI Changes[edit | edit source]
Several enemy AIs have been adjusted to be more aggressive and dangerous:
- Fighter AI enemies can now open doors at any time. Fighter AI enemies are faster, jump higher, more aggressive, and any Fighter AI enemies that shoot projectiles now shoot more accurately.
- Swimming AI enemies chase the player faster while they are in water. Gain a large amount of potential speed and acceleration.
- Slime AI enemies jump higher, frequently, and move faster. This is boosted even further during Slime Rain.
- Demon Eye AI enemies have a higher max speed but slower acceleration.
- Worm AI enemies are longer, faster, and have more defense. They can now split.
- Flying, Bat, Jellyfish, and Spider AI enemies charge towards the player faster.
- Caster AI enemies teleport more often and are more aggressive.
- Hovering AI enemies hover higher and are more aggressive.
- Blazing Wheels occasionally emit a plus-shaped flamethrower. Blazing Wheel flamethrowers are now hostile.
- Spike Balls have a longer reach and spin faster.
- Plant AI enemies have a longer range and charge at the player more quickly.
- Flying Weapon AI enemies spin up and charge faster and can't be knocked out of their charges.
- Flying Fish AI enemies have increased max speed.
- Spore AI enemies follow the player faster and at all times.
- Herpling AI enemies are more aggressive.
- Tortoise AI enemies are more aggressive.
- Unicorn AI enemies are more aggressive.
- The Granite and Cosmic Elementals move faster but can be harmed when cocooned, but have extreme defense.
- Cnidrions can fire water blasts while moving.
- Antlions fire multiple sand blocks at once, with a small chance to fire a very large amount of sand.
- Diggers, Devourers, World Feeders, and Dune Splicers have individual health bars per segment and split when one of them is broken, like the Eater of Worlds.
- Angry Nimbuses move more quickly, have increased attacking range, and scatters ice shards while in range.
- Tesla Turrets aim their lasers toward the player's predicted location based on their velocity.
- Chaos Elementals teleport more often.
- Goblin Summoners fire more chaos balls.
Boss AI Changes[edit | edit source]
This is a list of all boss fight changes caused by Death Mode. The names of vanilla bosses are italicized.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Much larger, moves faster and teleports more often. Only summons Blue Spiked Slimes throughout the fight. Crown Jewel now fires a spread of three projectiles.
Has more segments, which are larger. Burrows more often and gains increased acceleration and speed as its health decreases.
Charges faster and more often as its health decreases. Performs less chain dashes as its health decreases.
Fires sprays of mushrooms more frequently. Moves quicker, has decreased attack delays, and summons more Crab Shrooms as its health decreases. Crabulon always performs double the small jumps in its pattern. Crab Shroom walls are always slightly tilted.
Always can fire cursed flames projectiles and can fly at players out of reach more easily. Gains increased acceleration and top speed as its health decreases.
Can teleport much closer to the player. Creepers move faster. The Minimap icon disappears when it is damaged in phase 2. Gains decreased attack delay as its health decreases.
Moves very quickly, teleports extremely often, and can use all attacks upon reaching 66% health.
The Hive fires projectiles more often and has increased aggression. The Perforators are larger and have more segments. The Perforator Hive will hover closer to the player if more than one Perforator is alive.
Has faster charges and fires stingers extremely rapidly. Gains increased top speed and spawns Bees and shoots stingers at a higher rate when enraged.
Head health is reduced to 4,400 and accelerates quicker as its health decreases. Skeletron summons and respawns with 4 hands instead of 2. Hand HP reduced to 1,014. Hands attack at much higher velocity and accelerate quicker. Additionally shoots a Chaos Ball after teleporting. Fires faster skulls more often.
Crimulan Slime God always shoots mines. All slimes are permanently enraged.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Transitions into the next phase at 95%, 80%, 70%, 55%, 40%, and 25% HP respectively. Fires 4 waves of ice bombs as it travels in final phase. Cryogen and its projectiles are more aggressive and faster.
Gain reduced attack delay, increased acceleration and top speed as their health decreases.
Movement speed increases as her health decreases. Fires more projectiles more often during all phases. Only fires 1 laser below 50% health.
Has more segments and spawns more Probes. Laser fire rate dramatically increased, and acceleration and top speed increase as its health decreases. All types of lasers and charges are available at the start of the fight. Body segments gain 10 defense at all times.
Segment count increased by 10. Projectile velocity is increased, and acceleration and top speed increase depending on its distance from the player and as its health decreases. Teeth projectiles home in more aggressively. Fires a wider spread of sand blasts while spinning.
Fires skulls more frequently while spinning. If gravity is reversed, the Head gains another speed boost. Head inherits all hand attacks at the start of Phase 2. Hands and head gain increased acceleration and velocity as their health decrease.
Shoots more aggressively and gains increased acceleration and top speed while decreasing attack delay as its health decreases. Cataclysm and Catastrophe move quicker and gain decreased attack delay as their health decreases. Summons more Soul Seekers with less health.
Petal firerate dramatically increased. Attempts to ram the player more often. Top speed, acceleration, maximum hook range, and number of tentacles spawned increase as her health decreases. Tentacles move faster.
Both Anahita and The Leviathan will be enraged for the entire fight. Anahita has increased top speed and spends less time firing bubbles. The Leviathan charges twice in a row instead of once.
Jumps more aggresively. Fires more lasers, moves quicker, and gains decreased attack delay as its health decreases. Always fires three waves of astral flame crystals.
Golem[edit | edit source]
Jumps more aggressively and increased fire rate. Top speed increases as its heath decrease. Golem Head can fire lasers from the start of the fight and fires more often as its health decreases. Golem Head fire rate delay after detaching increased by 2 seconds.
Stingers home-in on the player. Fires additional rockets and charges at higher speeds. Gains increased top speed and spawns minions and shoots missiles at a higher rate when enraged.
Dash displacement increased. Minimap Icon disappears during Phase 3. Below 20% health, charges endlessly at the player. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Its projectile speed is roughly doubled.
Projectiles travel faster. Ancient Dooms explode faster. Moves faster while relocating.
Worms and lasers are faster. Worms gain increased velocity as their health decreases. Fires more Astral orbs.
Clots heal for 1,500 instead of 1,250. All projectiles have increased velocity. Moon Lord and True Eyes of Cthulhu are more aggressive.
Post-Moon Lord[edit | edit source]
The main Guardian always leaves a trail of exploding flares as it charges.
Goes into Phase 3 at 40% life. Gains increased speed along with its projectiles and aggression when enraged.
Has a new different attack pattern that is more difficult and harder to predict. The Healer Guardian heals much faster. Has a much more aggressive behavior. The crystal lasts for less time. She will no longer summon Cocoon Healing Flames while in her cocoon. Attack delay decreases as her health decreases.
Larger and has more segments. Damage dealt against the tail is multiplied by 3 instead of 10. Charges more frequently in Phase 2.
Can always fire a ring of 12 dark energy orbs, instead of just when below 50% health. Moves quicker as its health decreases. Summons more Dark Energies. Dark Energies become immune to knockback at 90% health, and are more aggressive.
Attacks 1 time per phase. Generally more aggressive. Cycles through phases faster as its health decreases.
Transitions into phase 2 at 90% health and phase 3 at 60%. Phantom Spirits shoot at a higher frequency.
Transitions into Phase 2 at 80% health and Phase 3 at 50%. Switches between its attacks faster and has increased movement speed. Charges are faster in velocity and occur more frequently.
Contact with its head will instantly kill the player. The sky will stay pitch black for the whole fight. Always moves at max speed, no matter how much health it has. In the final phase: Switches between passive and aggressive phases faster. Fires 4 barrages of laser walls from below 90% health.
Immediately transitions into subphase 2 and goes into subphase 3 at 60% health. Immediately transitions into subphase 5 after fully healing in Phase 2, subphase 6 at 65%, and subphase 7 at 30%. Attack delay decreased. Performs fewer slow charges, and more fast charges. Summons more Infernadoes in place of Flarenadoes. Yharon summons more fireballs in the second phase.
The arena's size is reduced from 159x159 (inner available area is 157x157) to 127x127 (inner available area is 125x125) blocks.
Unique Items[edit | edit source]
Pets[edit | edit source]
- Levi, dropped by Supreme Calamitas
- Cosmic Plushie, obtained from the Treasure Bag (The Devourer of Gods) when opened by a Hardcore character
Messages[edit | edit source]
- "Death is active, enjoy the fun." (When activated)
- "Death is not active, not fun enough for you?" (When deactivated)
See Also[edit | edit source]
|Combat||Charge • Damage Reduction • Hit Sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Proficiency • Rogue|
|Environment||Events • Music • Status messages|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Modifiers • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Game||AI • Armageddon • Boss Health Bar • Configuration options • Death Mode • Defiled Rune • Fishing • Game controls • Iron Heart • Lore • Revengeance Mode • Vanilla changes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death Prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|