- Not to be confused with Death, which is the item that activates this gamemode.
Death Mode is the second gamemode introduced in the Calamity Mod, serving as an increased difficulty level to Revengeance Mode. It is activated by using the Death item, which can be crafted at any Altar. Attempting to activate it in a world without Revengeance Mode will have no effect. Death Mode can be deactivated and activated at will. Attempting to activate or deactivate Death Mode while a boss is alive will kill the player and despawn any active bosses.
- 1 General Changes
- 2 Enemy AI Changes
- 3 Boss AI Changes
- 3.1 Pre-Hardmode
- 3.2 Hardmode
- 3.2.1 Cryogen
- 3.2.2 The Twins
- 3.2.3 Brimstone Elemental
- 3.2.4 The Destroyer
- 3.2.5 Aquatic Scourge
- 3.2.6 Skeletron Prime
- 3.2.7 Calamitas
- 3.2.8 Plantera
- 3.2.9 Anahita and Leviathan
- 3.2.10 Astrum Aureus
- 3.2.11 Golem
- 3.2.12 The Plaguebringer Goliath
- 3.2.13 Duke Fishron
- 3.2.14 Ravager
- 3.2.15 Lunatic Cultist
- 3.2.16 Astrum Deus
- 3.2.17 Moon Lord
- 3.3 Post-Moon Lord
- 4 Unique Items
- 5 Messages
- 6 See Also
General Changes[edit | edit source]
- Enemy damage is boosted by 15%.
- Bosses will randomly spawn if their respective conditions are met and if not killed once. This will be forewarned one minute in advance with a status message stating "Something is approaching...".
- This has a cooldown of 24 minutes (one in-game day).
- To work out which boss will be spawned, look at the table below for the first boss that hasn't been defeated. If its conditions are met, then this boss will be the one that is spawned.
- Bosses will not randomly spawn until the player has 300 or more max HP.
- The chance of a boss spawning is 0.002% (1 in 50,000) every frame.
- This translates to a 0.12% chance (1 in 833.33) every second, or a 7.2% chance (1 in 13.88) every minute.
- The Nurse will refuse to heal the player if a boss is currently alive.
- All damage over time debuffs deal twice as much damage.
Boss Spawn Conditions[edit | edit source]
To work out which boss will be spawned, look at the table below for the first boss that hasn't been defeated. If its conditions are met, then this boss will be the one that is spawned.
Environmental Effects[edit | edit source]
- While the player is in the Snow biome during a blizzard without cold immunity gear, they will be slowed down, with the slowness getting more intense the longer they remain in the blizzard. After 30 seconds the player will freeze, and then die 3 seconds later.
- The player will be slowed and frozen at double the rate if the player is also submerged in water without wearing Arctic Diving Gear or equipment which inherits its effects.
- The slowness effect gradually fades away over time after the player exits the blizzard. The speed it fades away can be increased by equipping cold immunity gear or by entering The Underworld. Being submerged in lava while in the Underworld increases the speed even faster.
- While in The Underworld without heat immunity gear, the player will be sequentially inflicted with new continuous debuffs every 6 seconds, in the order: Weak, Slow, On Fire!, Confused, and then Burning after a total of 30 seconds.
- The debuffs gradually fade away over time after the player exits the Underworld. The speed they fade away can be increased by equipping heat immunity gear or by entering a blizzard. Being submerged in water during a blizzard increases the speed even faster.
- While in the Space biome, the player will be inflicted with Burning during the day and Frostburn during the night, without respective heat and cold immunity gear.
- While in water in the Jungle, the player will be inflicted with the Bleeding debuff, which remains for 5 seconds after exiting the water.
- The Underground and Cavern layers become darker the deeper the player gets. This can be mitigated with light-generating equipment.
- The darkness is akin to light-diminishing debuffs like Darkness and Blackout, reducing the effectiveness of light sources and intensifying darkness in the absence of light.
- The darkness begins to dissipate once the player gets near the Underworld, and starts getting progressively lighter the deeper the player gets, until it is fully dissipated by the time they enter the Underworld.
- Abyss light level requirements are increased by 25%.
- Thorny bushes inflict various debuffs depending on what biome they are in:
- Spikes inflict Bleeding for 5 seconds.
- Wooden Spikes inflict Venom for 5 seconds.
- Several environmental hazards occasionally spawn near the player while under certain conditions. They are disabled while a boss is alive.
- Lightning periodically strikes while it is raining, dealing 200 damage and inflicting Electrified for 2 seconds. These lightning strikes are preceded with sparks appearing on the ground where they will strike.
- Icicles fall from the sky during a blizzard, dealing 100 damage and inflicting Frostburn for 1 second and Chilled for 0.5 seconds.
- Lava geysers erupt from lava in the Underworld, dealing 100 damage.
- Brimstone Flame geysers erupt from lava in the Brimstone Crag, dealing 100 damage and inflicting Brimstone Flames for 2 seconds.
- Sharknadoes spawn on the Ocean surface and Cthulhunadoes spawn during rain, dealing 125 and 250 damage respectively.
- Blood Moons boost all spawn rates by 400% and maximum spawn count by 900%. This effect stacks with other spawn rate modifiers.
- The Astral Infection biome decreases the effect of gravity on the player, similar to the Space biome.
- This can be negated with a Gravity Normalizer Potion.
- The Astral Infection biome has a more intense purple haze effect on the screen.
- This effect does not appear when in Retro or Trippy color modes.
Temperature Protective Gear[edit | edit source]
Underground Lighting Gear[edit | edit source]
These items can be used to reduce the effects of darkness while underground. With a total light level of 1, the darkness is reduced by 25%. At level 2, it's instead reduced by 45%. At level 3, it's reduced by 65%. At level 4, it's reduced by 85%. At level 5, the darkness effect is cleared entirely.
Enemy AI Changes[edit | edit source]
Several enemy AIs have been adjusted to be more aggressive and dangerous:
- Fighter AI enemies can now open doors at any time. Fighter AI enemies are faster, jump higher, more aggressive, and any Fighter AI enemies that shoot projectiles now shoot more accurately.
- Swimming AI enemies chase the player faster while they are in water. Gain a large amount of potential speed and acceleration.
- Slime AI enemies jump higher, frequently, and move faster. This is boosted even further during Slime Rain.
- Demon Eye AI enemies have a higher max speed but slower acceleration.
- Worm AI enemies are longer, faster, and have more defense. They can now split.
- Flying, Bat, Jellyfish, and Spider AI enemies charge towards the player faster.
- Caster AI enemies teleport more often and are more aggressive.
- Hovering AI enemies hover higher and are more aggressive.
- Blazing Wheels occasionally emit a plus-shaped flamethrower. Blazing Wheel flamethrowers are now hostile.
- Spike Balls have a longer reach and spin faster.
- Plant AI enemies have a longer range and charge at the player more quickly.
- Flying Weapon AI enemies spin up and charge faster and can't be knocked out of their charges.
- Flying Fish AI enemies have increased max speed.
- Spore AI enemies follow the player faster and at all times.
- Herpling AI enemies are more aggressive.
- Tortoise AI enemies are more aggressive.
- Unicorn AI enemies are more aggressive.
- The Granite and Cosmic Elementals move faster but can be harmed when cocooned, but have extreme defense.
- Cnidrions can fire water blasts while moving.
- Antlions fire multiple sand blocks at once, with a small chance to fire a very large amount of sand.
- Diggers, Devourers, World Feeders, and Dune Splicers have individual health bars per segment and split when one of them is broken, like the Eater of Worlds.
- Angry Nimbuses move more quickly, have increased attacking range, and scatters ice shards while in range.
- Tesla Turrets aim their lasers toward the player's predicted location based on their velocity.
- Chaos Elementals teleport more often.
- Goblin Summoners fire more chaos balls.
Boss AI Changes[edit | edit source]
This is a list of all boss fight changes caused by Death Mode. The names of vanilla bosses are italicized.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Moves faster and teleports more often. The Crown Jewel now will follow and shoot the player for the whole fight.
Accelerates much faster and charges more agressively.
Charges faster and more often. Starts at phase 2 sub-phase 4 when spawned.
Fires sprays of mushrooms more frequently. Jumps higher and summons more Crab Shrooms. Crabulon always performs double the small jumps in its pattern. Crab Shroom walls are always slightly tilted.
Always can fire cursed flames projectiles and accelerates faster.
Moves faster and can teleport much closer to the player. Can use all attacks at the start of phase 2.
Moves very quickly, teleports extremely often, and can use all attacks at the start of phase 2.
The Hive fires projectiles more often and has increased aggression. The Perforators are significantly shorter. The Perforator Hive will hover closer to the player if more than one Perforator is alive.
Has faster charges and fires stingers extremely rapidly.
Skeletron summons 4 hands instead of 2, and hands attack at much higher velocity.
Crimulan Slime God always shoots mines. All slimes are permanently enraged.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Transitions into the next phase at 95%, 80%, 70%, 55%, 40%, and 25% HP respectively. Fires 4 waves of ice bombs as it travels in final phase. Cryogen and its projectiles are more aggressive and faster.
Both Twins will now start the fight in their 2nd phase and transition to their 3rd phase at 50% health.
Laser attacks are available during Phase 1. She fires projectiles more often during all phases. Movement speed during Phase 1 is increased and is always at maximum speed. Projectile always travels at max speed. When in Phase 3, she shoots projectiles more often.
Has more segments and spawns more Probes. Acceleration and laser fire rate dramatically increased. All types of lasers and charges are available at the start of the fight. Body segments gain 10 defense at all times.
Segment count increased by 10. Speed and projectile velocity is increased. Teeth projectiles home in more aggressively.
Fires skulls more frequently while spinning. If gravity is reversed, the Head gains another speed boost. Head inherits all hand attacks at the start of Phase 2.
Calamitas shoots more aggressively.
Petal firerate dramatically increased. Attempts to ram the player more often. Top speed and acceleration increased in phase 2 and again in phase 3.
Both Anahita and The Leviathan will be enraged for the entire fight. Both bosses have all attacks always available.
Crawls faster and jumps more aggresively. Always fires three waves of astral flame crystals.
Golem[edit | edit source]
Jumps more aggressively and increased fire rate. Golem Head fire rate delay after detaching increased by 2 seconds.
Starts the fight in Phase 2, Missile Barrages and Diagonal Dashes can be used from the start of the fight. Stingers home-in on the player. Fires additional rockets and charges at higher speeds.
Starts the fight in phase 2. Dash displacement increased. Enters phase 3 at 33% health instead of 20% health. Minimap Icon disappears when at low life. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Its projectile speed is roughly doubled.
Projectiles travel faster. Ancient Dooms explode faster. Moves faster while relocating.
Worms and lasers are faster. Fires more Astral orbs.
Clots heal for 1,500 instead of 1,250. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Post-Moon Lord[edit | edit source]
The main Guardian always leaves a trail of exploding flares as it charges.
Starts the battle with Phase 2 and goes to Phase 3 at 40% life.
Has a new different attack pattern that is more difficult and harder to predict. The Healer Guardian heals much faster. Has a much more aggressive behavior. The crystal lasts for less time. She will no longer summon Cocoon Healing Flames while in her cocoon.
Damage dealt against the tail is multiplied by 3 instead of 10. Charges more frequently in Phase 2.
Always fires 12 dark energy orbs, instead of just when below 50% health. Dark Energy become immune to knockback at 90% health. Dark Energies are more aggressive.
Charges much more often, generally more aggressive.
Transitions into phase 2 at 90% and phase 3 at 80%. Phantom Spirits shoot at a higher frequency.
Contact with its head will instantly kill the player. The sky will stay pitch black for the whole fight. Always moves at max speed, no matter how much health it has. In the final phase: Switches between passive and aggressive phases faster. Fires 4 barrages of laser walls and from below 90% health until it reaches 20% health.
Performs fewer slow charges, and more fast charges. More meteors in the final phase. Summons more Infernadoes in place of Flarenadoes. Yharon summons more fireballs in the second phase.
The arena's size is reduced from 159x159 (inner available area is 157x157) to 127x127 (inner available area is 125x125) blocks.
Unique Items[edit | edit source]
Pets[edit | edit source]
- Levi, dropped by Supreme Calamitas
- Cosmic Plushie, dropped by Treasure Bag (The Devourer of Gods) when opened by a Hardcore character
Messages[edit | edit source]
- "Death is active, enjoy the fun." (When activated)
- "Death is not active, not fun enough for you?" (When deactivated)
See Also[edit | edit source]
|Combat||Charge • Damage Reduction • Hit Sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Proficiency • Rogue|
|Environment||Events • Music • Status messages|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Game||AI • Armageddon • Boss Health Bar • Configuration options • Death Mode • Defiled Rune • Fishing • Game controls • Iron Heart • Lore • Revengeance Mode • Vanilla changes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death Prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|