- Not to be confused with Death, which is the item that activates this gamemode.
Death Mode is the second gamemode introduced in the Calamity Mod, serving as an increased difficulty level to Revengeance Mode. It is activated by using the Death item, which can be crafted at any Altar. Attempting to activate it in a world without Revengeance Mode will have no effect. Death Mode can be deactivated and activated at will. Attempting to activate or deactivate Death Mode while a boss is alive will kill the player and despawn any active bosses.
- 1 General Changes
- 2 Enemy AI Changes
- 3 Boss AI Changes
- 3.1 Pre-Hardmode
- 3.2 Hardmode
- 3.2.1 Cryogen
- 3.2.2 The Twins
- 3.2.3 Brimstone Elemental
- 3.2.4 The Destroyer
- 3.2.5 Aquatic Scourge
- 3.2.6 Skeletron Prime
- 3.2.7 Calamitas
- 3.2.8 Plantera
- 3.2.9 Siren and Leviathan
- 3.2.10 Astrum Aureus
- 3.2.11 Golem
- 3.2.12 The Plaguebringer Goliath
- 3.2.13 Duke Fishron
- 3.2.14 Ravager
- 3.2.15 Lunatic Cultist
- 3.2.16 Astrum Deus
- 3.2.17 Moon Lord
- 3.3 Post-Moon Lord
- 4 Unique Items
- 5 Messages
- 6 See Also
General Changes[edit | edit source]
- Enemy damage is boosted by 15%.
- Bosses will randomly spawn if their respective conditions are met and if not killed once. This will be forewarned one minute in advance with a status message stating "Something is approaching...".
- This has a cooldown of 24 minutes (one in-game day).
- To work out which boss will be spawned, look at the table below for the first boss that hasn't been defeated. If its conditions are met, then this boss will be the one that is spawned.
- Bosses will not randomly spawn until the player has 300 or more max HP.
- The chance of a boss spawning is 0.002% (1 in 50,000) every frame.
- This translates to a 0.12% chance (1 in 833.33) every second, or a 7.2% chance (1 in 13.88) every minute.
- The Nurse will refuse to heal the player if a boss is currently alive.
- All damage over time debuffs deal twice as much damage.
Environmental Effects[edit | edit source]
- While the player is in the Snow biome during a blizzard without cold immunity gear, they will be slowed down, with the slowness getting more intense the longer they remain in the blizzard. After 30 seconds the player will freeze, and then die 3 seconds later.
- The player will be slowed and frozen at double the rate if the player is also submerged in water without wearing Arctic Diving Gear or equipment which inherits its effects.
- The slowness effect gradually fades away over time after the player exits the blizzard. The speed it fades away can be increased by equipping cold immunity gear or by entering The Underworld. Being submerged in lava while in the Underworld increases the speed even faster.
- While in The Underworld without heat immunity gear, the player will be sequentially inflicted with new continuous debuffs every 6 seconds, in the order: Weak, Slow, On Fire!, Confused, and then Burning after a total of 30 seconds.
- The debuffs gradually fade away over time after the player exits the Underworld. The speed they fade away can be increased by equipping heat immunity gear or by entering a blizzard. Being submerged in water during a blizzard increases the speed even faster.
- While in the Space biome, the player will be inflicted with Burning during the day and Frostburn during the night, without respective heat and cold immunity gear.
- While in water in the Jungle, the player will be inflicted with the Bleeding debuff, which remains for 5 seconds after exiting the water.
- The Underground and Cavern layers become darker the deeper the player gets. This can be mitigated with light-generating equipment.
- The darkness is akin to light-diminishing debuffs like Darkness and Blackout, reducing the effectiveness of light sources and intensifying darkness in the absence of light.
- The darkness begins to dissipate once the player gets near the Underworld, and starts getting progressively lighter the deeper the player gets, until it is fully dissipated by the time they enter the Underworld.
- Abyss light level requirements are increased by 25%.
- Thorny bushes inflict various debuffs depending on what biome they are in:
- Spikes inflict Bleeding for 5 seconds.
- Wooden Spikes inflict Venom for 5 seconds.
- Several environmental hazards occasionally spawn near the player while under certain conditions. They are disabled while a boss is alive.
- Lightning periodically strikes while it is raining, dealing 200 damage and inflicting Electrified for 2 seconds. These lightning strikes are preceded with sparks appearing on the ground where they will strike.
- Icicles fall from the sky during a blizzard, dealing 100 damage and inflicting Frostburn for 1 second and Chilled for 0.5 seconds.
- Lava geysers erupt from lava in the Underworld, dealing 100 damage.
- Brimstone Flame geysers erupt from lava in the Brimstone Crag, dealing 100 damage and inflicting Brimstone Flames for 2 seconds.
- Sharknadoes spawn on the Ocean surface and Cthulhunadoes spawn during rain, dealing 125 and 250 damage respectively.
- Blood Moons boost all spawn rates by 400% and maximum spawn count by 900%. This effect stacks with other spawn rate modifiers.
- The Astral Infection biome decreases the effect of gravity on the player, similar to the Space biome.
- This can be negated with a Gravity Normalizer Potion.
- The Astral Infection biome has a more intense purple haze effect on the screen.
- This effect does not appear when in Retro or Trippy color modes.
Boss Spawn Conditions[edit | edit source]
Temperature Protective Gear[edit | edit source]
Underground Lighting Gear[edit | edit source]
These items can be used to reduce the effects of darkness while underground. With a total light level of 1, the darkness is reduced by 25%. At level 2, it's instead reduced by 45%. At level 3, it's reduced by 65%. At level 4, it's reduced by 85%. At level 5, the darkness effect is cleared entirely.
Enemy AI Changes[edit | edit source]
Several enemy AIs have been adjusted to be more aggressive and dangerous:
- Fighter AI enemies can now open doors at any time.
- Swimming AI enemies chase the player faster while they are in water.
- Slime AI enemies jump more aggressively and frequently. This is boosted even further during Slime Rain.
- Demon Eye AI enemies have a higher max speed but slower acceleration.
- Worm AI enemies are longer, faster, and have more defense.
- Flying, Bat, Jellyfish, and Spider AI enemies charge towards the player faster.
- Caster AI enemies teleport more often and are more aggressive.
- Hovering AI enemies hover higher and are more aggressive.
- Blazing Wheels occasionally emit a plus-shaped flamethrower.
- Spike Balls have a longer reach and spin faster.
- Plant AI enemies have a longer range and charge at the player more quickly.
- Flying Weapon AI enemies spin up and charge faster and can't be knocked out of their charges.
- Flying Fish AI enemies have increased max speed.
- Spore AI enemies follow the player faster and at all times.
- Herpling AI enemies are more aggressive.
- Tortoise AI enemies are more aggressive.
- The Granite and Cosmic Elementals move faster but can be harmed when cocooned.
- Cnidrions move quicker and can fire water blasts while moving.
- Antlions fire multiple sand blocks at once, with a small chance to fire a very large amount of sand.
- Diggers, Devourers, World Feeders, and Dune Splicers have individual health bars per segment and split when one of them is broken, like the Eater of Worlds.
- Angry Nimbuses move more quickly, have increased attacking range, and scatters ice shards while in range.
- Tesla Turrets aim their lasers toward the player's predicted location based on their velocity.
Boss AI Changes[edit | edit source]
This is a list of all boss fight changes caused by Death Mode. The names of vanilla bosses are italicized.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Moves faster and teleports more often. The Crown Jewel now will follow and shoot the player for the whole fight.
Accelerates much faster and charges more agressively.
Charges faster and more often. Starts at phase 2 when spawned.
Fires sprays of mushrooms more frequently. Jumps higher and summons more Crab Shrooms. Gains new Crab Shroom pattern below 50% health.
Always can fire cursed flames projectiles and accelerates faster.
Moves faster and can teleport much closer to the player. Can use all attacks at the start of phase 2.
Teleports more often and can use all attacks at the start of phase 2.
The Hive fires blood clots rapidly, which can travel through tiles. The Perforators are significantly shorter. The Perforator Hive rams the player more often.
Has faster charges and fires stingers extremely rapidly.
Skeletron summons 4 hands instead of 2. Hands attack at much higher velocity. Fires skulls when spinning, and fires more frequently.
Crimulan Slime God always shoots mines. The Core is immune while any large slime is alive. Large slimes are constantly enraged.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Transitions into the next phase at 95%, 80%, 70%, 55%, 40%, and 25% HP respectively. Fires 4 waves of 4 ice bombs as it travels in final phase.
Both Twins will now start the fight in their 2nd phase and transistion to their 3rd phase at 50% health.
Laser attack is available throughout the entire fight. Lasers take less time to charge and are more accurate. Projectile velocity is greatly increased. More shotgun blasts are fired during the second phase.
Has more segments and spawns more Probes, which have buffed stats. Acceleration dramatically increased. Green homing lasers cap increased to 3.
Segment count increased by 10. Top speed and projectile velocity is increased.
Fires skulls when spinning, and fires more frequently. If gravity is reversed, the Head gains another speed boost. Head inherits all hand attacks at the start of the fight.
Top speed and acceleration increased. Fires additional Brimstone Hellfireballs. Both brothers have increased acceleration but less top speed.
Petal firerate dramaticlly increased. Attempts to ram the player more often. Top speed and acceleration increased in phase 2 and again in phase 3.
Both The Siren and The Leviathan will be summoned simultaneously upon killing ???, and both will be enraged for the entire fight. Both bosses have all attacks always available. The Siren will summon the first siren clone at 66% HP, and spawns an additional siren clone at 33% HP.
Increased fire rate and jumping speed. Will always fire three waves of astral flame crystals.
Golem[edit | edit source]
Jumps more agressively and increased fire rate. Golem Head fire rate delay after detaching increased by 2 seconds.
Missile barrages can be used from the start of the fight. Stingers briefly home-in. Fires additional rockets. Charge displacement increased. Minor projectile velocity increased.
Starts the fight in phase 2. Dash displacement increased. Enters phase 3 at 33% health instead of 20% health. Minimap Icon disappears when at low life. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Fist range and speed dramatically increased. Jump aggression increased. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Projectiles travel faster. Ancient Dooms explode faster. Moves faster while relocating.
Worms and lasers are faster. Main worm is always at max aggression.
Clots heal for 1,500 instead of 1,250. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Post-Moon Lord[edit | edit source]
Attacks cycle faster. More than one guardian can fire a spear barrage at once.
Maximum of 8 copies are able to spawn and more homing feathers are summoned.
Switches between attack patterns more frequently and does not emit healing flames. The Healer Guardian heals much more health. Has a much more aggressive behavior. The crystal lasts for less time. All projectiles have increased velocity.
More aggressive in phase 1 and takes reduced damage. Top speed increased during phase 2. Lightning orbs are released more often.
Fires laser portals faster and summons more Dark Energies. Gravity ring is active at all times.
Charges much more often, more aggressive. All projectiles have increased velocity.
Transitions into phase 2 at 90% and phase 3 at 80%. Fires Phantom Mines more often. Charges more aggressively.
Contact with its head will instantly kill the player. Accelerates extremely fast and increased aggression. Switches between air and ground phase faster in the Final Phase. Fires 4 barrages of laser walls and can be fired at 90% HP and onwards during phase 2. Laser walls travel faster and are less synced. Spends more time intangible in phase two. Teleports more often.
Transitions between phases at higher HP. Subphases 3, 7, and 8 last longer. More aggressive with its charges and teleports. Performs less slow charges, and more fast charges. More meteors in the final phase.
The arena's size is reduced from 159x159 (inner available area is 157x157) to 127x127 (inner available area is 125x125) blocks.
Unique Items[edit | edit source]
Pets[edit | edit source]
- , dropped by
- , dropped by when opened by a Hardcore character
Messages[edit | edit source]
- "Death is active, enjoy the fun." (When activated)
- "Death is not active, not fun enough for you?" (When deactivated)
See Also[edit | edit source]
|Combat||Hit Sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Proficiency • Rogue|
|Environment||Events • Music • Status messages|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Game||AI • Armageddon • Boss Health Bar • Configuration options • Death Mode • Defiled Rune • Fishing • Game controls • Iron Heart • Lore • Revengeance Mode • Vanilla changes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death Prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|