"Your soul is mine..."
The Defiled Rune is an item that can be activated and deactivated while in Revengeance Mode or Death Mode. When active, it has multiple effects on gameplay:
- Wings do not work.
- Certain items with drop rates below 5% are raised to 5%.
- Doubles the amount of money that drops from enemies.
- Some enemies will drop items that they normally will only drop in certain biomes.
It is obtained from opening a Starter Bag or by crafting it at a Demon Altar or Crimson Altar.
The following items' drop rates are increased to 5% while the Defiled Rune is active.
While the Defiled Rune is active, some enemies will drop items anywhere that they normally will only drop in certain biomes.
- If used while a boss is alive, it will instantly kill the player and despawn any active bosses.
- The effect of this item tends to cause some bosses to spawn twice at the same time.
- Although it disables wings, using the Rocket Boots or any of its upgrades up to Celestial Tracers will allow for brief flight.
- This item is a reference to the Defiled Chalice from the game Bloodborne, and it had some similar functions to it previously.
- This item resembles a Buff/Debuff icon, much like SYNTAX ERROR.
- This item used to halve a player's max HP and increase enemy damage resistance by 50%.