|Type||Boss – Burrowing Enemy|
|AI Type||Worm AI|
|Max Life||2,300 / 3,680 / 4,240|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Fishing Drops(click for table)
- Victory Shard (7-14 / 10-16)100%
- Coral (5-9 / 7-11)100%
- Seashell (5-9 / 7-11)100%
- Starfish (5-9 / 7-11)100%
- Sand Block (5-15)100%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 22.5% / 30.83%
- 10% / 11.11%
- 10% / 11.11%
- Lesser Healing Potion (8-14)100%
- The Desert Scourge (Lore)(Always on first kill)100%
The Desert Scourge is a Pre-Hardmode boss. It is intended to be one of the first bosses fought by the player and is considered to be the weakest of all of the bosses added by the Calamity Mod. It is intended to be fought before the Eye of Cthulhu, but can still pose a considerable challenge to new players with only basic equipment.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Segments[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Desert Scourge behaves like a regular worm enemy, moving through blocks and attempting to ram the player.
It becomes invulnerable if the player exits the Desert biome.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Its speed will increase as it loses health. After killing Skeletron, the Desert Scourge moves faster.
- Once below 75% health, Desert Scourge will begin to spawn Dried Seekers.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- Desert Scourge is more aggressive.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Desert Scourge shoots sand blasts at the player, similar to Eater of Worlds in Expert Mode.
- Desert Scourge spawns with 2 smaller Desert Scourges. Defeating the main worm will count as a boss defeat and gives the drops.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Desert Scourge accelerates faster and charges more aggressively.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Dried Seeker||Below 75% life|
|Desert Scourge (small)||Always in Revengeance Mode or in Boss Rush|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- The Sunken Sea's tiles become breakable and Prism-Backs will begin dropping Prism Shards.
- The Sea King will begin to arrive if provided suitable housing and Giant Clam is defeated.
- If the Sea King isn't in the player's current world, defeating the Giant Clam will now summon the Sea King.
- The Sea King will begin selling Desert Medallions.
- Sandstorms can now occur, indicated by a sandstorm starting upon its defeat.
Fishing Drops[edit | edit source]
|Sonar Potion||2-3||20% / 25%|
|Crate Potion||2-3||20% / 25%|
|Fishing Potion||2-3||20% / 25%|
|Angler Hat||1||20% / 25%|
|Angler Vest||1||20% / 25%|
|Angler Pants||1||20% / 25%|
|Fisherman's Pocket Guide||1||10% / 11.11%|
|Sextant||1||10% / 11.11%|
|Weather Radio||1||10% / 11.11%|
|Angler Earring||1||6.67% / 8.33%|
|High Test Fishing Line||1||6.67% / 8.33%|
|Tackle Box||1||6.67% / 8.33%|
|Golden Bug Net(After Skeletron has been defeated)||1||5% / 5.56%|
Resistances[edit | edit source]
- All Desert Scourge segments take 70% damage from sparks, such as those from Amidias' Spark.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Desert Scourge, along with The Leviathan and the Aquatic Scourge, can drop items rewarded by the Angler for completing his quests.
- All of the Desert Scourge's loot will spawn at the nearest segment with the exception of the Sand Blocks and Hearts, which will always spawn at the head.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For more elaborate strategies on defeating the Desert Scourge, including weapon and arena recommendations, see Guide:Desert Scourge strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- Building a few layers of platforms across the Desert will make avoiding the Scourge much easier.
- The Scourge will tunnel through platforms if it reaches them, keeping platforms around 20 blocks above the ground and each other can help prevent this.
- Be careful: If platforms are too high the player might leave the Desert while on them, enraging the Scourge and making it invincible.
- Avoid its head at all costs, especially in Expert Mode or higher difficulties.
- Always stay moving as the Scourge's attacks will easily kill an immobile target.
- This becomes even more important when on Revengeance Mode as the Scourge gains its sand blast attack.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- The Enchanted Sword, Starfury and Seashell Boomerang are very safe, long range options.
- Any bow paired with Jester's Arrows can deal high damage due to their piercing, especially when shot through a large chunk of the Scourge.
- The Slime Staff can deal high damage to the Scourge if it tunnels through the Slimes, which is likely.
- Spiky Balls are great weapons for the Scourge with a lot of variants and accessibility.
- Grenades can deal massive damage to the Scourge when hitting multiple segments, just stay away from the blast radius.
- The Slimy Saddle can be used to bounce on the boss' segments, inflicting extra damage while being relatively safe.
- If done right, this can eliminate the need for an arena.
- Amidias' Spark, when equipped, can deal good damage to the Scourge with its sparks.
- This item can also be used to do extra damage when using the Mandible Claws strategy detailed above.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Desert Scourge's theme is Guardian of the Former Seas, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 1 will play instead.
- The Aquatic Scourge is a hydrated version of the Desert Scourge, although it has been mutated by the toxic waters of the Sulphurous Sea.
- This boss and the Aquatic Scourge can both drop the Aero Stone and several fishing drops, making them the only two bosses to share a drop outside of crafting materials, potions, or fishing items.
Lore[edit | edit source]
When the Sea King, Amidias refused to partake in the forbidden ritual to awaken the Moon Lord/The Dark Lord from his slumber and imprisonment on the moon the Jungle Tyrant King, Yharim had the witch Calamitas evaporate all of the seas water with fire and brimstone. This event caused the great sea worm, now known as the Desert Scourge, to go on a rampage. Deprived of its previous food source, Crab and Shark meat, it devoured all of the inhabitants of the now dried up sea kingdom. Now the sea worm has dried out and become a hollow shell of its former self, constantly seeking fresh meat for it to devour.