|AI Type||Eidolon Wyrm AI|
Eidolon Wyrms are minibosses that spawn in the 3rd and 4th layers of the Abyss. They are initially passive and will not attempt to hurt the player. However, if the player deals damage to them, they will become hostile and attack the player with contact damage or magic projectiles. Only their heads are capable of dealing physical damage, allowing their body segments to be passed through without harm.
Types[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Juvenile Eidolon Wyrm spawns in the third and fourth layers of the Abyss at any point in the game. Its roar will alert you that it is nearby and is hunting you. Once hostile, it will chase the player on sight until they leave the biome, though its size makes it difficult to maneuver around. It will summon balls of ice which fire spikes in every direction, and summon orbs that unleash streaks of lightning at the player.
The Adult Eidolon Wyrm spawns in the same two layers after Polterghast has been defeated, but is much rarer. It will also spawn if the player uses a Rod of Discord in the Abyss at any time, giving the message "Eidolon Wyrm has awoken!" It behaves similarly to its juvenile counterpart, although it is incredibly large, moves much faster, and deals far greater damage. It also has the ability to periodically fling the player in a random direction through telekinesis. No more than one Adult Eidolon Wyrm can exist at once.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Using the Rod of Discord in the Abyss will cause any living Eidolon Wyrms, both Juvenile and Adult, to instantly discover the player and begin attacking.
- The Adult Eidolon Wyrm's awakening depends only on whether or not the player has the Chaos State debuff while in the Abyss, and will therefore spawn if the player enters the biome with the debuff already applied, despite the Rod of Discord not actually being used within the Abyss.
- Whilst the Juvenile Eidolon Wyrm can be detected with the Lifeform Analyzer, the Adult Eidolon Wyrm cannot.
- Unlike the Juvenile Eidolon Wyrm, the Adult Eidolon Wyrm does not require Polterghast to be defeated in order to drop weapons. This means that, if the player has the strategy and the patience to do so, they can acquire those immensely powerful weapons only after obtaining a Rod of Discord at the beginning of Hardmode.
- If you leave the Abyss biome while fighting Adult Eidolon Wyrm, it becomes 'enraged', resulting in massive increase in defense.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- They are the only enemies which can inflict Horror and Marked for Death outside of Revengeance Mode.
- Their ice and lightning attacks are similar to those performed by the Lunatic Cultist. The juvenile's ability to drop the Lunar Cultist Robe and Hood, as well as "Eidolon" being a term used to describe something idolized (potentially in the fashion of a cult), further establishes a connection between these enemies.
- They may also be related to the Eidolist, as they have similar names and drops, and they both spawn in the Abyss.
- The Adult Eidolon Wyrm currently has the highest health of any NPC in the mod.
- Its design is based on a creature from the aquatic exploration game Subnautica, known as the Ghost Leviathan.