Today, 9/19, is the 6th Anniversary of Gamepedia's launch. Join us for an all-day Mega Stream on the Gamepedia Twitch channel! In addition, all users who log in during the anniversary week will receive a special achievement.
|AI Type||Eidolon Wyrm AI|
Eidolon Wyrms are mini bosses that spawn in the 3rd and 4th layers of the Abyss. They are initially passive and will not attempt to hurt the player. However, if the player deals damage to them, they will become hostile and attack the player with contact damage or magic projectiles.
Types[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Juvenile Eidolon Wyrm spawns in the third and fourth layers of the Abyss at any point in the game. Its roar will alert you that it is nearby and is hunting you. Once hostile, it will chase the player on sight until they leave the biome, though its size makes it difficult to maneuver around. It will summon balls of ice which fire spikes in every direction, and summon orbs that unleash streaks of lightning at the player.
The Adult Eidolon Wyrm spawns in the same two layers after Polterghast has been defeated, but is much rarer. It will also spawn if the player uses a Rod of Discord in the Abyss at any time, giving the message "Eidolon Wyrm has awoken!" It behaves similarly to its juvenile counterpart, although it is very large, moves much faster, deals far greater damage, and is incredibly resilient to damage. It also has the ability to periodically fling the player in a random direction through telekinesis. No more than one Adult Eidolon Wyrm can exist at once.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The body segments of Eidolon Wyrms are intangible, dealing no damage to the player and having complete immunity to attacks. Only their heads are capable of dealing or receiving damage.
- Using the Rod of Discord in the Abyss will cause any living Eidolon Wyrms, both Juvenile and Adult, to instantly discover the player and begin attacking.
- The Adult Eidolon Wyrm's awakening depends only on whether or not the player has the Chaos State debuff while in the Abyss, and will therefore spawn if the player enters the biome with the debuff already applied, despite the Rod of Discord not actually being used within the Abyss.
- Whilst the Juvenile Eidolon Wyrm can be detected with the Lifeform Analyzer, the Adult Eidolon Wyrm cannot.
- Unlike the Juvenile Eidolon Wyrm, the Adult Eidolon Wyrm does not require Polterghast to be defeated in order to drop weapons. This means that, if the player has the strategy and the patience to do so, they can acquire those immensely powerful weapons only after obtaining a Rod of Discord at the beginning of Hardmode.
- The Adult Eidolon Wyrm cannot be hurt by any attack that would deal 1/300 of its health (3,333 damage) in one hit. When hit by such an attack, the damage is reduced to 0.
- Due to the wyrm's incredibly high DR, it is nearly impossible to deal this amount of damage to it during gameplay. Causing this to activate is only feasible with third-party butcher functions or ridiculously powerful weapons from other mods.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- They are the only enemies which can inflict Horror and Marked for Death outside of Revengeance Mode.
- Their ice and lightning attacks are similar to those performed by the Lunatic Cultist. The juvenile's ability to drop the Lunar Cultist Robe and Hood, as well as "Eidolon" being a term used to describe something idolized (potentially in the fashion of a cult), further establishes a connection between these enemies.
- They may also be related to the Eidolist, as they have similar names and drops, and they both spawn in the Abyss.
- Prior to the 1.3.4.001 update, the Adult Eidolon Wyrm had the highest health of any NPC in the mod, with a whopping 30,000,000 health.
- Its design is based on a creature from the aquatic exploration game Subnautica, known as the Ghost Leviathan.