Guide:Providence, the Profaned Goddess strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
|Environment||The Hallow – The Underworld|
|AI Type||Providence AI|
120 / 192 / 240 / 276 (Holy Fire)
130 / 208 / 260 / 299 (Holy Blast)
110 / 168 / 210 / 241 (Molten Blast)
110 / 168 / 210 / 241 (Molten Glob)
120 / 192 / 240 / 276 (Holy Bomb)
100 / 150 / 200 (Cocoon Flame)
-35 / -50 (Cocoon Healing Flame)
130 / 208 / 260 / 299 (Holy Spear)
140 / 228 / 285 / 327 (Crystal Shard)
200 / 400 / 440 / 464 (Holy Ray)
|Max Life||440,000 / 704,000 / 800,000|
|Debuff duration||4 seconds (Holy Blast)|
2 seconds (Holy Flame)
3 seconds (Holy Bomb)
2 seconds (Holy Flare)
2 seconds (Holy Spear)
3 seconds (Molten Blast)
1.5 seconds (Molten Glob)
|Debuff tooltip||Dissolving from holy light|
|Debuff duration||50 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Your wing time is reduced by 75%, infinite flight is disabled|
|Debuff duration||Infinite (Too far away)|
|Debuff tooltip||You've gone too far from the Profaned Goddess!|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
- 25% / 33.33%
Providence, the Profaned Goddess is a post-Moon Lord boss that is fought after defeating the Profaned Guardians and, in most cases, the Dragonfolly. To fight her the player must use a Profaned Core in either The Hallow or The Underworld during the daytime.
- 1 Terrain Preparation
- 2 Gearing Up
- 3 The Fight
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
Providence requires a lot of room. A good arena for the fight will require flattening out a large area. One or two long platforms set 30 blocks apart are useful as molten globs launch up and will stay on the higher platforms, allowing the player to more safely navigate the lower parts of the arena without worrying about the hazard.
If you don't want to create a huge platform arena and don't care about the Underworld's terrain, you can use Dynamite or similar explosives to demolish it. Furthermore, you can equip Angel Treads or any of its upgrades to use the lava as a floor. However, this can require a lot of gold to buy the explosives. This arena can later be used to fight Signus, Envoy of the Devourer as well. If you decide to make an arena like this, Zen Potions can be very useful to reduce the amount of enemies interfering with your progress.
Great movement speed and agility are crucial for the fight as Providence's projectiles and the Guardians are very quick. This is important especially in the later parts of the fight as Providence's projectiles increase in rate and velocity as her health lowers.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
Lunar armors are the preferred choice for all classes.
- Solar Flare armor for Melee
- Vortex armor for Ranged
- Nebula armor for Mage
- Stardust armor for Summoner
- Xeroc armor for Rogue
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- Lunar Wings or Seraph Tracers are the best wings available for the player and should be prioritized.
- A long bridge-type arena will pair well with the Seraph Tracers for this boss.
- The Heart of the Elements can be useful for this fight due to the many stat increases it provides.
- Turning off the elementals by turning off the visibility of the accessory will increase the stats even further.
- The Void of Extinction is a great classless accessory as it gives the same boost as a class emblem, along with extra effects.
- The Community is a powerful item as it provides stat increases which get increased as the player progresses through the mod.
- The Absorber is another good all-class accessory due to the great movement and healing stat boost it provides.
- Statis' Ninja Belt is a great accessory as it provides great movement buffs, as well as dodge chance.
- Asgard's Valor provides additional defense and immunity to knockback, which can prevent the player from being knocked into other projectiles after being hit.
- The Celestial Shell is a good accessory for Melee players as it provides great melee boosts during the day.
- Statis' Curse and the Star-Tainted Generator are great accessories for Summoners as they both provide a buff to both the number of minions as well as minion damage.
- Statis' Blessing can also be used, which provides the same buffs as Statis' Curse except for the Shadowflame debuff, which Providence is immune to.
- Since the effects of Statis' Blessing stack with Statis' Curse, the player can equip both alongside the Star-Tainted Generator for a total of 7 extra minions and a 27% increase in damage.
- The Sigil of Calamitas is a great accessory for Mages as it gives several buffs for damage and mana consumption.
- It also increases the user's max mana by 100.
- The Artemis Emblem is a great Ranged accessory as it provides several range buffs and reduces ammo consumption.
- It also increases life regen by 2 and Defense by 5.
- The Dark God's Sheath can be a good accessory for Rogue players, provided they can gain stealth to perform stealth strikes.
- It also provides several passive Rogue bonuses.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Melee[edit | edit source]
- The Ark of the Elements is a great weapon choice as its fire-rate and projectiles make it a very powerful weapon.
- The Devastation is a powerful melee weapon that performs well when in the Hallow biome, though is it difficult to aim correctly.
- The Elemental Lance is a good weapon to use against Providence due to its projectile split and her large hitbox.
- The Elemental Disk can decimate Providence due to its ability to summon many copies of itself when hitting her.
Ranged[edit | edit source]
- The Onyx Chain Blaster is a great weapon due to its high damage and 50% chance to not consume ammo.
- The Golden Eagle is another powerful weapon due to its incredibly high firing speed.
- The Clockwork Bow is a great bow for Ranged players due to its wide attack pattern.
- The Elemental Blaster is a powerful weapon due to its high range, high base damage and it not requiring ammo.
- Hyperius Bullets and Holy Fire Bullets are the best bullets for this stage of the game.
- Elysian Arrows are the best arrows for this stage, with one exception.
Mage[edit | edit source]
- The Elemental Ray's splitting projectiles and high damage is very powerful for the guardians, but not for Providence herself.
- Genisis is a great weapon for the fight as it deals high DPS to Providence herself.
- Although it has incredibly high firing speed, it also has much lower base damage.
- Rouge Slash is very powerful, sporting both high base damage and high firing speed.
- The Ultra Liquidator can devastate Providence due to its incredibly high base damage.
- The Effervescence is also a great choice, having a very large bubble spray.
- However, it also has very low base damage compared to other weapons in this stage.
Summoner[edit | edit source]
- The Elemental Axe is a powerful Summoner weapon due to its high minion speed and damage.
- The Tactical Plague Engine is also a powerful option but it requires a lot of ammo to use due to its high fire rate.
- The Energy Staff is another good summoner item to use as a support to other minions due to its high damage
- Despite being able to attack quickly with decent damage, it cannot move and only one may be summoned at a time.
Rogue[edit | edit source]
- The Rogue variation of Elemental Disk performs just as well as its Melee counterpart.
- The Stellar Contempt can be a great weapon for Rogue players due to its high damage, at the cost of close range.
- The Utensil Poker is a good choice due to the buff it provides when hitting an enemy.
- Hell's Sun can be used to effectively make the arena into a minefield for the boss.
- Combining this along with other rogue weapons can be used to damage Providence when she spawns the guardians, allowing the player to focus on slaying the guardians with other weapons.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
Blast Phase[edit | edit source]
Providence will fly back and forth above you and will fire massive Holy Blasts which burst into Holy Flames on impact. The Holy Flames will spread out in all directions before homing in on you for a brief moment. Moving quickly and rapidly changing direction can prevent the projectiles from hitting you as the Holy Blasts are slow and the Holy Flames are quick but will only home for a very short time.
Flame Phase[edit | edit source]
Providence will hover above you and fire Holy Flames that stop in mid-air and split into more Holy Flames that travel either horizontally or vertically. To make this phase easier, avoid being directed to the left/right or directly above/below the initial Holy Flames.
Cocoon Phase[edit | edit source]
Providence will stop moving and hide in her cocoon, greatly increasing her damage reduction. After a certain amount of time, a status message stating "The air is burning..." will appear and you will be inflicted with the Icarus' Folly debuff for 50 seconds. The debuff cripples your mobility as it reduces wing time by 75%, decreases your horizontal speed and prevents infinite flight.
While she's in her cocoon phase she can use one of two attacks.
Cocoon Flames[edit | edit source]
Providence will emit waves of orange Cocoon Flames and green Cocoon Healing Flames. The cocoon flames will start spreading from her in a tight group and will grow faster and wider apart as they travel. Staying close to Providence will ensure you have enough time to react to the flames' positions, though you need to also keep some distance so the flames will be spaced out enough for you to be able to weave between them. The orange Cocoon Flames cause damage by "Healing" with negative hit points, thus ignores all defense stats. In Death Mode, the green Healing Cocoon Flames won't appear and will instead be replaced by more damaging Cocoon Flames.
Holy Spears[edit | edit source]
Providence will fire a barrage of Holy Spears from herself while other horizontally-moving Holy Spears spawn in the area around the player. The stream of Holy Spears will increase in frequency as Providence's health gets lower. Moving in a tight circle around Providence during this attack should be enough to dodge it successfully.
Molten Phase[edit | edit source]
Providence will fly above you, similarly to the Blast Phase, and fire Molten Blasts that explode on impact into several Molten Globs that stay on the ground for some time before disappearing. If you prepared several platforms in the arena, the Blobs will get trapped on higher platforms, making your main concern avoiding the Molten Blasts. However, if you didn't prepare platforms in the arena, concentrating the blobs in one location can make this phase and the following phases easier as it gives you more space to move around in.
Bomb Phase[edit | edit source]
Providence will fly directly above you and drop Holy Bombs that linger in place. The Holy Bombs will continually emit Holy Flames that drift towards you. This phase greatly resembles the attack of a Profaned Energy. Going in one direction and then flying over the Holy Bombs should make this stage rather simple to dodge.
Holy Ray Phase[edit | edit source]
This occurs when Providence drops below 75% health if she was summoned in the Hallow. Like her cocoon phase, her DR increases substantially. This phase can be discerned by Providence slowing down along with a sound cue of her charging up energy. The Holy Ray deals massive damage compared to the other projectiles, thus, it's better to run into another projectile than to get hit by the ray. This phase is very similar to the Moon Lord's Death Ray Attack.
In Expert Mode or below, dodging this attack can easily be done by flying around Providence in a circle or teleporting to the other side of the ray using the Normality Relocator. In Revengeance Mode or above, Providence will now fire two Holy Rays instead of one. The rays converge inwards towards each other like a pair of scissors, leaving a small gap in between. To dodge the attack, you need to thread the gap between the rays or teleport behind one of the rays in the same manner as for Normal or Expert.
Guardians[edit | edit source]
When Providence reaches 34% health, she will summon weaker versions of the Profaned Guardians, which act almost identically to the bosses themselves. Their strategy is to be combined with the strategy of any attack Providence uses while they're still alive. While the Healer guardian is alive, Providence will periodically recover 0.5% of her full health. The heals occur every 2 / 1.5 / 0.5 seconds. The heals also change frequency depending on how many guardians are alive, occurring twice as often if all three are alive, and half as often if the Healer Guardian is the only one still alive.
When leaving The Hallow or The Underworld, the guardians will take very little damage until you return to the biome.
General Tips[edit | edit source]
Unlike other bosses, Providence herself doesn't deal any contact damage, so there's no need to avoid her sprite. However, do avoid the center of her sprite as that's the spawn point of most of the projectiles she fires at you.
When reaching 75% health when summoned in The Underworld, Providence will summon a giant crystal above you, which will rain down 10 smaller crystal shards that damage the player if touched. The crystal will follow you around, staying right above you, disappearing after 60 / 35 seconds.
Providence's projectiles will increase in speed and frequency as her health gets lower. Upon reaching 15% health, Providence will attack much more aggressively and use every attack possible towards you. Going too far from Providence will inflict you with the Holy Inferno debuff, causing damage over time which will rapidly increase in severity. This effect will end once you return to Providence's proximity.
In Revengeance mode and above, Providence will continuously increase in speed when flying in the same direction for longer than 2.5 seconds, up to roughly double her original speed, making running and kiting strategies more difficult. However, her speed will return to normal upon changing direction.