The Hive Mind
The Hive MindPhase 2
It is the Corruption counterpart to The Perforators.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Hive Mind is stationary in all of Phase 1, summoning Corruption-themed enemies at intervals based on its life. In Phase 2, it starts flying towards the player while teleporting and spawning enemies. It becomes enraged if the player leaves the Corruption, making it faster and nearly immune to all attacks.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- Remains stationary where it was spawned, occasionally burrowing into the ground and reemerging near the player, to prevent them from straying too far away.
- Periodically summons Hive Blobs.
- Spawns Devourers and Eaters of Souls as it takes damage.
- Summons a swarm of Hive Blobs and several Dank Creepers upon reaching 75%, 50%, and 25% health.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- Floats toward the player aggressively, periodically dashing back when hit and then teleporting.
- After enough time has elapsed without being hit, dashes directly at the player while fading out and then teleporting.
- Spawns Dank Creepers, Devourers, Eaters of Souls, or Hive Blobs whenever it backdashes.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- During Phase 1, the Hive Mind gains a lot of defense when any Dank Creepers are alive.
- Dank Creepers spawn shade clouds on death, which inflict Cursed Inferno.
- Hive Blobs fire vile clots.
- Moves faster and takes less time to teleport in Phase 2.
- After teleporting, has a chance to fade in while circling the player and then lunge at them.
- This occurs at least once every three teleports.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Contact with the Hive Mind inflicts the Horror debuff.
- Moves faster still and takes less time to teleport in Phase 2.
- No longer spawns enemies when reeling back, but executes one of three aggressive attacks as it teleports:
- Fades in while rapidly circling the player and then lunges at high speed.
- Below 66% health, appears below the player and flies in a semicircle, spawning several enemies as it moves. The Hive Mind can now summon Dark Hearts among these enemies.
- Below 33% health, appears above the player and then dashes horizontally, creating many short-lived shade clouds in its wake.
- The same attack is never performed twice in a row.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Moves very quickly and teleports extremely often in Phase 2.
- Can use all attacks at the start of phase 2.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Eater of Souls||Always|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Upon defeating the Hive Mind, the status message "The ground is glittering with cyan light" displays, indicating that Aerialite Ore generated in the world.
- Sky Crates will contain Aerialite Bars.
- The Dryad will begin selling Teratomas.
- The Dryad will also begin selling the Bloody Worm Tooth in Expert Mode.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- During phase 1, The Hive Mind won't deal or take any damage while burrowing until it fully emerges.
- During phase 2, The Hive Mind won't deal contact damage while it is teleporting and not fully opaque, but it can still be damaged.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For elaborate strategies on defeating the Hive Mind, including Weapon and Arena recommendations, see Guide:The Hive Mind strategies.
General[edit | edit source]
- Leaving The Corruption will enrage the Hive Mind, making it invincible and more deadly.
- Keep this in mind if building an arena; building too far off the ground may take you out of the biome.
- Be wary of the Hive Mind's summons, making sure to clear them out every so-often, as they can easily overwhelm the player if left unattended.
- During phase 1, The Hive Mind will summon a swarm of minions at 75%, 50% and 25% health. Keep this in mind while dealing heavy damage, as fighting off more than 1 swarm at a time can be overwhelming.
- Phase 2 can be extremely chaotic, so clearing out all minions before starting the phase can be greatly helpful.
- The Dark Hearts' projectiles can cause a lot of damage if the player is not concentrated on dodging them.
Weapons & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- The Mycelial Claws can make quick work of the Hive Mind's first phase.
- The Minishark and Pumpler excel at dealing with The Hive Mind and its minions due to their rapid firing speeds.
- The Flare Bolt and Water Bolt can be very good at clearing out the large numbers of The Hive Mind's minions due to their massive piercing capabilities.
- These weapons excel at combat in enclosed areas. The player can simulate this by surrounding their arena in blocks, allowing the bolts to bounce freely.
- The Magical Conch can deal with phase 1 amazingly, as The Hive Mind is land-locked during this phase.
- However, it will struggle with phase 2 as well as The Hive Mind's minions. The Seabound Staff can more easily deal with this.
- The Mycoroot and the Seafoam Bomb can decimate The Hive Mind due to their insane damage output.
- High mobility is extremely valuable in this fight, a decent Hook, jump boosting accessories like the Bundle of Balloons and Aero Stone and the dashes granted by the Shield of Cthulhu and Counter Scarf are all great options for avoiding The Hive Mind and its minions.
- Mobility should be prioritized more heavily if in Death Mode as The Hive Mind gains even more deadly dashes, granting it additional movement options.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- During Hardmode, The Hive Mind can be fought to get a large amount of Cursed Flames. This is a highly effective way to get Cursed Flames in a Crimson world, as The Hive Mind can be fought on a Corruption island.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hive Mind's theme is The Filthy Mind, which was composed by the artists DM DOKURO and SixteenInMono.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 2 will play instead.
- The Hive Mind could be considered the Corruption's version of the Brain of Cthulhu, while The Perforators could be considered the Crimson's version of the Eater of Worlds.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Hive Mind, the grotesque creature that lies in the depths of the corruption, is actually a colony of creatures that travel together, combining their abilities to form a greater presence responsible for spreading and sustaining the corruption. Corruptions are just breeding grounds to creatures which form larger and larger clusters.