The Iron Heart is an item placed in a newly spawned player's inventory. Upon being used in Expert Mode, it enables or disables several effects on every character in the current world:
- Dying (by all means) while any boss is alive will cause the character to be killed forever in a manner identical to Hardcore mode, turning them into a ghost and deleting their file once they exit the world after dying.
- Unlike Hardcore mode, however, the character will not be permanently killed if they die while a boss is not alive, such as by enemies or environmental hazards while exploring.
- A secondary effect of Iron Heart is that the player's life hearts will become light gray in appearance, with black 'eyes' on either side of each, matching the appearance of being heart-shaped skulls. They remain with this appearance even after using Life Fruits or other permanent power-ups.
Attempting to use this item while a boss is alive will result in instant permanent death. This item cannot be used if any boss has been killed in the world.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Iron Heart's effects are tied to the world it was used in, rather than the player that used it. This means that all players that join a world in which the Iron Heart has been used will have the Iron Heart's effects, even if they don't use the item.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The appearance of the life hearts after using the Iron Heart is a reference to the game Hollow Knight, in which the player's mask-based life meter bears a striking resemblance.
- This item as a whole is a partial reference to Hollow Knight's own perma-death mode, known as "Steel Soul".
- The life hearts' appearance also references the life hearts in Minecraft's perma-death mode known as "Hardcore", as the mode causes the player's hearts to develop eye-like streaks.
- In previous versions of the mod, this item became unusable after a minute of runtime in the world.
|Combat||Damage Reduction • Hit Sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Proficiency • Rogue|
|Environment||Events • Music • Status messages|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Game||AI • Armageddon • Boss Health Bar • Configuration options • Death Mode • Defiled Rune • Fishing • Game controls • Iron Heart • Lore • Revengeance Mode • Vanilla changes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death Prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|