Providence, the Profaned Goddess
|Environment||The Hallow – The Underworld|
|AI Type||Providence AI|
118 / 160 / 168 / 240 (holy flame)
126 / 184 / 193 / 276 (holy blast)
110 / 156 / 163 / 234 (molten blast)
110 / 156 / 163 / 234 (molten glob)
120 / 176 / 184 / 264 (flare bomb)
100 / 150 / 150 / 300 (cocoon flame)
-35 / -50 / -50 (cocoon healing flame)
130 / 192 / 201 / 288 (cocoon spear)
140 / 208 / 218 / 312 (crystal shards)
200 / 400 / 420 / 600 (laser)
|Max Life||264,500 / 423,200 / 478,400 / 644,000|
|Debuff duration||50 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Your wing time is reduced by 75%, infinite flight is disabled|
|Debuff duration||Infinite (Too far away)|
|Debuff tooltip||You've gone too far from the Profaned God!|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 16.7% / 33.3%
- 16.7% / 33.3%
- 16.7% / 33.3%
- 16.7% / 33.3%
- 16.7% / 33.3%
- 16.7% / 33.3%
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Providence does not spawn on her own and requires the player to summon her with the Profaned Core while in the Hallow or Underworld biome. Providence can only be summoned during the Day, and will despawn if it becomes nighttime.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Providence herself deals no contact damage, instead utilizing her wide array of projectiles, as well as minions, to deal damage. Providence's attacks and behavior vary depending on which phase and health she is currently in. She switches through these multiple phases pseudo-randomly, spending several seconds in one before choosing another.
If the player exits the Hallow or the Underworld for more than 5 seconds while fighting Providence, she will become completely immune to damage until they return.
In all Phases[edit | edit source]
- Providence and her attacks become more aggressive as her health gets lower.
- When reaching around 70%, 40%, and 10% of her full health she will spawn three Profaned Guardians, and becomes invulnerable until they are defeated.
- While the healer Guardian is alive, Providence's health will slowly recover at a rate of about 713 per second (in Normal Mode).
- If the player exits the Hallow or the Underworld, the Guardians will take very little damage from attacks until they return.
- Upon reaching 50% health, Providence summons a giant crystal that follows directly above the player. She is also now capable of entering her Laser Phase.
- The giant crystal periodically rains down 10 smaller crystal shards, which deal damage to the player if touched.
- Straying too far away from Providence will cause her maximum horizontal speed to constantly increase, and the Holy Inferno debuff will be inflicted onto the player, causing damage over time which exponentially increases in severity. These effects will end once the player returns to Providence's proximity.
Phases[edit | edit source]
Blast Phase[edit | edit source]
- Providence flies back and forth above the player and fires massive that erupt into on impact. The Holy Flames spread out in all directions before briefly homing in on the player.
Flame Phase[edit | edit source]
- Providence flies directly above the player and drops that stop in the air, then split into more Holy Flames which travel either horizontally or vertically.
Cocoon Phase[edit | edit source]
- Providence hides in her cocoon, greatly reducing the amount of damage she takes. While hiding in her cocoon she can do one of two attacks.
- She emits waves of damaging
, which instantly decrease the player's health regardless of defense, damage reduction, or invincibility frames.
- She also fires a few green , which heal the player for 35 health on contact, interspersed with the damaging flames.
- She fires a barrage of
from herself, while other horizontally-moving Holy Spears spawn in the area around the player.
- She fires the spears from herself with increasing frequency as her health gets lower, eventually to the point where it is an unbroken stream.
- After a certain amount of time, a status message stating "The air is burning..." appears in the chat and the Icarus' Folly debuff is applied all players for 50 seconds. Icarus' Folly cripples mobility by decreasing wing flight time by 75% and blocking any infinite flight.
Molten Phase[edit | edit source]
- Providence flies back and forth above the player and fires that explode on impact into several . The Molten Globs stay on the ground for some time and deal damage if touched.
Bomb Phase[edit | edit source]
- Providence flies directly above the player and drops
that linger in place. Flare Bombs continually emit that drift towards the player.
- This attack is similar to that of a Profaned Energy.
Laser Phase[edit | edit source]
- Only occurs once Providence drops below 50% health.
- Providence stops flying and begins to charge up energy, then, shortly after, fires a continuous laser beam. The laser sweeps around the area in a circular motion, and deals massive damage upon contact with the player.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- The Healing Flame Orbs heal for 50 instead of 35.
- The healer Guardians heal Providence at a rate of about 820 health per second.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- The healer Guardians heal Providence at a rate of about 1,173 health per second.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Has a new, different pattern which is significantly more difficult and harder to predict.
- Will never emit Healing Flame Orbs while hiding in her cocoon.
- The healer Guardians heal Providence at a rate of about 7,250 health per second.
Summons[edit | edit source]
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Once defeated, Uelibloom Ore will be generated in mud blocks.
- Brimstone Elemental, Calamitas, Ravager, and enemies within the Brimstone Crag will become buffed and begin dropping Bloodstone.
- Overloaded Soldiers and Phantom Debris will begin dropping Phantoplasm.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As her Healer guardians restore her health, her attacks reduce in aggressiveness.
- If she is brought back above 50% health, the giant crystal will disappear shortly after and she will no longer enter her Laser Phase until she is brought back below 50% health.
- While Providence is alive, the world is tinted an orange color. This will only happen if the Lighting option in the Settings Menu is set to "Color" or "White".
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Pay close attention to your surroundings. This fight can potentially be very chaotic and hard to manage, so extra care must be taken to keeping track of and dodging projectiles.
- Focus on the guardians whenever they spawn, their varied effects can make Providence a nightmare en masse.
- When Providence enters her cocoon phase, she will hide in her cocoon and emanate orange and green flames. When she does this, try to run into the green flames, as these will heal you.
- Take extra care to dodge the orange damaging flames, as they can potentially kill the player very quickly due to their ignoring of immunity frames.
- Try not to stray too far away from her during this phase, as the projectiles speed up over time and can become very hard to dodge.
- In Death Mode, the healing green flames do not spawn, and are instead replaced by normal orange flames.
- A really long bridge-type arena will work well against this boss if paired with Seraph Tracers.
- Accessories that reduce taken damage such as Worm Scarf are very useful during the fight.
- The laser she fires cannot pass through blocks, just like the Moon Lord's Deathray laser. Use this to your advantage.
- You can kill Providence in both Underworld and Hallow at the same time, getting both biome-exclusive drops. This can be done by killing it in a spot where Underground Hallow connects with the Underworld, or by making an arena out of Hallowed blocks in the Underworld.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Providence's theme is Unholy Insurgency, which was made by the artist DM DOKURO.
- The old theme for Providence used to be the final boss music for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, known as Adventure's End. This was changed due to copyright-related reasons.
- A few weeks before Unholy Insurgency was introduced, Providence's theme was changed to Siren's Call (Seafoam Mix), which was also composed by DM DOKURO.
- The name of the debuff "Icarus' Folly" references Icarus from Greek mythology, who used wings created with wax to achieve flight. However, he tested his limits and flew too close to the sun, melting his wings and causing him to fall back to Earth to his death.
- If the player dies from the damaging cocoon flames, it will show the death message as "<PlayerName> was licked.".
- If the player dies under the effects of the Holy Inferno debuff, the unique death message will say "<PlayerName> fell prey to their sins.".
- She was previously named "Providence, the Profaned God". This was changed due to Providence being referred to as female in lore entries and by the developers, and "goddess" is the feminine word for "god".
Lore[edit | edit source]
Providence, the Profaned Goddess, is the original source of all old religions and beliefs in the ancient times. She was born of the sun's holy light and the Underworld's dark magic during a great battle between demons and angels long ago. When the combined forces of each side threw every bolt of energy they had at each other all at once it created a massive explosion. Through this, the core of Providence was born. Using magic the core suddenly began tearing chunks of the Terraria landscape apart to form a shell of earth and flame around itself. The two armies, awestruck by what they saw before them, ceased their fruitless endeavors. Providence then disappeared into the sun, with this day being now known as the Birth of the Profaned Flame. From this point forward religions of the profaned flame formed, and long thereafter through the use of some of Providence's old magic (whether the lihzahrd knew it or not) the Golem was created to protect their temple. Though she is both dark AND light these do nothing to impact her natural state of being; she is a neutral god, only destroying those who lay hands on her artifacts and only assists those that pray to or protect her. She resides in either the core of the Underworld or the center of the sun, far too hot for even beings as powerful as the Devourer of Gods to enter. After dispatching her guardians Yharim left his Devourer and his Sentinels to "clean up" both her and the rest. However, due to Providence's ability to conceal her magic extremely well and her natural affinity with nuclear heat the Devourer nor his Sentinels could find her. To this day the Sentinels are still searching, with the Devourer going about his own business until they discover her...or something else more powerful than her... After defeating her guardians the Terrarian come across a chunk of her inner core, odds are she will be mightily displeased if something were to happen to it.