Signus, Envoy of the Devourer
|AI Type||Signus, Envoy of the Devourer AI|
|Max Life||280,000 / 448,000 /|
712,800 / 1,155,600
|Debuff duration||7 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Death approaches; defense, attack power, and life regen reduced|
|Debuff duration||5 seconds (Contact)|
|Debuff tooltip||The horror...|
|Immune to||All debuffs except:|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
Phases[edit | edit source]
Signus, Envoy of the DevourerPhase 2
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Signus has 3 phases, each with their own unique behavior, appearance, and methods of attack. Unlike most other bosses, Signus cycles through these phases on a timer, regardless of its current health.
Throughout the fight, it summons Cosmic Lantern enemies that chase the player at high speeds in an attempt to deal contact damage. A maximum of 10 Lanterns can be summoned at a time.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- Signus flies towards the player and teleports three times, each to random nearby locations. During this phase, Signus will take knockback, which can slow its advance. Below 50% HP, however, Signus will become completely immune to knockback.
- As its health gets lower, it teleports more quickly and moves toward the player more quickly.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- Signus flies very quickly back and forth above the player and launches boomerangs that inflict Whispering Death.
- The lower Signus' health, the more boomerangs it shoots.
- Boomerangs eventually turn around in an attempt to hit the player again.
Phase 3[edit | edit source]
- Signus flies above the player and lunges down at them extremely quickly.
- As Signus' health gets lower, its lunges become even faster.
- Signus occasionally spawns a wall of five Cosmic Lanterns in front of the player to block them.
- If Signus' health is low, it summons trails of essence dust behind it while lunging. The essence dust explodes after a short delay.
All Phases[edit | edit source]
- When Signus reaches 65% health, Cosmic Fireballs begin to rain from above the player in a random spread. This continues for the remainder of the battle.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- After it teleports, Signus summons two pink Cosmic Mines, which chase the player and explode if in close proximity to them or after a short time.
- Signus is faster and inflicts the Horror debuff on contact.
- Signus shoots Cosmic Fireballs more often.
- The Cosmic Lanterns inflict the Marked debuff and move faster.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Signus charges more often and is generally more aggressive.
Summons[edit | edit source]
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Building a large arena to dodge Signus' attacks is a good idea in order to give more room to move around.
- Avoid traveling in a straight horizontal line while fighting Signus to avoid Cosmic Lanterns that spawn on each side of the player.
- The Lacerator is great for destroying Cosmic Lanterns and for doing large amounts of damage to Signus while staying at a good distance.
- Using the Seadragon along with Holy Fire Bullets can decimate Signus.
- The Nuclear Fury is a great weapon for the Cosmic Lanterns as its area of effect can easily keep them at bay.
- Elemental Axes paired with the Golden Gun and minion slot boosting accessories can be a deadly combination for defeating Signus.
- Additionally, the life aura from summoner Tarragon armor instantly kills Cosmic Lanterns as they draw near.
- The Molten Amputator is an excellent rogue option that deals great damage when the boomerangs stack on top of one another.
- Signus' Cosmic Fireballs can be difficult to evade, thus using the Normality Relocator or a Rod of Discord is highly recommended.
- Accessories such as the Flesh Totem and Elysian Aegis are extremely useful for dealing with Signus' massive contact damage.
- If not already equipped, the Seraph Tracers are very useful for keeping up with Signus' speed.
- Signus' AI is very similar to Brimstone Elemental's AI. Practicing her before fighting Signus may result in an easier fight.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Signus' theme is a segment from Servants of the Scourge, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- This theme contains a motif from The Devourer of Gods' theme.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 4 will play instead.
- Despite being a boss, Signus will not drop a mask, or a Treasure Bag in Expert Mode.
- Signus is referred to as 'CosmicWraith' in the mod's source files.
Lore[edit | edit source]
No living creature knows the true origin of Signus. Some claim it is a wraith, bound by vengeance and controllable only through dark magic. Others insist it is simply a mage of the highest caliber. Others still believe it to hail from another planet, or possibly another dimension entirely. But all can agree on its unparalleled killing prowess - capable of exterminating virtually anyone, anywhere, regardless of the conditions or defenses surrounding its target.
Even those who contract Signus can rarely say for certain who their assassin is. It has been seen consuming the bodies of others and adopting their appearance afterwards; descriptions of its "true form" vary wildly. The most consistent pattern in those believed to have been Signus is the manifestation of ethereal lights when forced into open combat, commanded through unknown means to blind its opponent or burn them to ashes.
Signus' one and only failure to kill a target was against the Jungle Tyrant, Yharim. Manifesting from nothing in the inner sanctums of the Jungle Temple, it was foiled only by its target summoning of the Devourer of Gods to his aid - and even then, Signus evaded death for an extended period of time within the Devourer's own dimension. Both of them soon came to realize that neither could kill the other; a grudging ceasefire was eventually agreed upon, which slowly evolved into an agreement of mutual respect. Signus itself became the Devourer's favorite means of eliminating targets when delicacy and stealth were needed over sheer power and size. Of the three Sentinels, none is closer to fulfilling their current objective than the ethereal assassin.