"The depths of the underground desert are rumbling..."
The Sunken Sea is an aquatic biome added by the Calamity Mod which spawns upon world creation. It is located directly underneath the Underground Desert. Comprising it is a series of caves almost entirely filled with water, illuminated by glowing blue crystals of Sea Prism.
It is filled with numerous sea creatures, most of which are peaceful until provoked, including the Giant Clam mini boss. The biome becomes more populated once Hardmode begins, and several existing enemies receive new abilities and item drops.
It is composed of Navystone and Eutrophic Sand, with veins and crystals of Sea Prism scattered throughout. A large variety of different corals and other decorative objects also generate in this biome. The Table Corals can be stood on, the Fan Corals produce light and the Brain Corals can produce bubbles that the player can touch to gain a short Gills buff. None of the blocks in the Sunken Sea can be broken until the Desert Scourge has been defeated.
Contents[edit | edit source]
From Eutrophic Ray:
From Blinded Angler:
From Sea Serpent:
From Giant Clam:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Player-created Sunken Sea biomes are possible by placing at least 300 Eutrophic Sand, Navystone, and/or Sea Prisms in an area.
- The player is also considered to be within the Sunken Sea when standing in front of natural Eutrophic Sand Walls or Navystone Walls.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Equipping any accessory which allows for extended or infinite underwater breathing, such as the Ocean Crest, will make exploring this biome much easier.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme heard while in the Sunken Sea is sanctuary, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- The Sunken Sea seems to be what remains of the ocean that Calamitas incinerated, according to the lore.
- Many of the enemies or items having the word "Eutrophic" in their names suggests that the Sunken Sea has undergone some degree of eutrophication, which results in an oxygen-depleted environment.
- Oxygen depleted environments can lead to lethargic sea life in the real world, which may explain why the majority of this biome's enemies are passive until provoked.
- Brain Corals producing oxygen bubbles may be a reference to the game Subnautica.
|Biomes and Structures|
|Biomes||Abyss • Astral Infection • Brimstone Crag • Sulphurous Sea • Sunken Sea|
Cavern • The Corruption • The Crimson • Desert • Dungeon • The Hallow • Jungle • Jungle Temple • Mushroom • Ocean • Space • Snow • Surface • Underground • The Underworld
|Structures||Evil Island • Ice Tomb • Planetoid • Shrine|