The Hive Mind
The Hive MindPhase 2
It is the Corruption counterpart to The Perforators.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Hive Mind is stationary in all of Phase 1, summoning Corruption-themed enemies at intervals based on its life. In Phase 2, it starts flying towards the player while teleporting and spawning enemies. It becomes enraged if the player leaves the Corruption, making it faster and nearly immune to all attacks.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- Remains stationary where it was spawned, occasionally burrowing into the ground and reemerging near the player, to prevent them from straying too far away.
- Periodically summons Hive Blobs.
- Spawns Devourers and Eaters of Souls as it takes damage.
- Summons a swarm of Hive Blobs and several Dank Creepers upon reaching 75%, 50%, and 25% health.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- Floats toward the player aggressively, periodically dashing back when hit and then teleporting.
- After enough time has elapsed without being hit, dashes directly at the player while fading out and then teleporting.
- Spawns Dank Creepers, Devourers, Eaters of Souls, or Hive Blobs whenever it backdashes.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- During Phase 1, the Hive Mind gains a lot of defense when any Dank Creepers are alive.
- Dank Creepers spawn shade clouds on death, which inflict Cursed Inferno.
- Hive Blobs fire vile clots.
- Moves faster and takes less time to teleport in Phase 2.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Contact with the Hive Mind inflicts the Horror debuff.
- Moves faster still and takes less time to teleport in Phase 2.
- After teleporting, has a chance to fade in while circling the player and then lunge at them.
- This occurs at least once every three teleports.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Moves very quickly and teleports extremely often in Phase 2.
- No longer spawns enemies when reeling back, but always executes one of three aggressive attacks as it teleports:
- Fades in while rapidly circling the player and then lunges at high speed.
- Appears below the player and flies in a semicircle, spawning several enemies as it moves. The Hive Mind can now summon Dark Hearts among these enemies.
- Appears above the player and then dashes horizontally, creating many short-lived shade clouds in its wake.
- The same attack is never performed twice in a row.
Summons[edit | edit source]
In Phase 2 in Death Mode[edit | edit source]
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Upon defeating the Hive Mind, the status message "The ground is glittering with cyan light" displays, indicating that Aerialite Ore generated in the world.
- The Dryad will begin selling Teratomas.
- The Dryad will also begin selling the Bloody Worm Tooth in Expert Mode.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Leaving the corruption will cause The Hive Mind to enrage, increasing its movement speed and becoming invulnerable to all damage.
- During Phase 1, The Hive Mind won't deal or take any damage while burrowing until it fully emerges.
- During Phase 2, The Hive Mind won't deal contact damage while it is teleporting and not fully opaque, but it can still be damaged.
- The Hive Mind's summons can quickly become overwhelming if left unattended to, so make sure to focus them every so often during the fight.
- The Mycelial Claws can make quick work of the Hive Mind during its first phase due to its massive swing speed and damage capabilities on stationary targets.
- The Minishark and the Pumpler excel at damaging the Hive Mind due to their rapid firing speeds.
- The Flare and Water Bolt can be very good at clearing out the large numbers of the Hive Mind's minions due to their massive piercing capabilities.
- Minions from the Seabound Staff and the Magical Conch can deal massive damage to the Hive Mind due to their tendencies to hit enemies multiple times in quick succession.
- The Mycoroot and the Seafoam Bomb can decimate the Hive Mind due to their insane damage output.
- A high mobility is almost necessary for this fight, as the player has a high risk of being swarmed and may need to dodge frequently, thus dashing accessories such as the Shield of Cthulhu and the Counter Scarf are massively helpful for avoiding The Hive Mind's attacks. This is much more prevalent in Revengeance Mode and above, where the boss has additional lunge and dash attacks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hive Mind's theme is The Filthy Mind, which was composed by the artists DM DOKURO and SixteenInMono.
- If the Calamity Music add-on mod is disabled, Boss 2 will play instead.
- The Hive Mind could be considered the Corruption counterpart of the Brain of Cthulhu, while The Perforators could be considered the Crimson counterpart of the Eater of Worlds.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Hive Mind, the grotesque creature that lies in the depths of the corruption, is actually a colony of creatures that travel together, combining their abilities to form a greater presence responsible for spreading and sustaining the corruption. Corruptions are just breeding grounds to creatures which form larger and larger clusters.