The Hive Mind
The Hive MindPhase 1
The Hive MindPhase 2
It is the Corruption counterpart to The Perforators.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Hive Mind is stationary in all of Phase 1, summoning Corruption-themed enemies at intervals based on its life. In Phase 2, it starts flying towards the player while teleporting and spawning enemies. It becomes enraged if the player leaves the Corruption, making it faster and nearly immune to all attacks.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
- Remains stationary where it was spawned, occasionally burrowing into the ground and reemerging near the player, to prevent them from straying too far away.
- Periodically summons Hive Blobs.
- Spawns Devourers and Eaters of Souls as it takes damage.
- Summons a swarm of Hive Blobs and several Dank Creepers upon reaching 75%, 50%, and 25% health.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
- Floats toward the player aggressively, periodically dashing back when hit and then teleporting.
- After enough time has elapsed without being hit, dashes directly at the player while fading out and then teleporting.
- Spawns Dank Creepers, Devourers, Eaters of Souls, Hive Blobs, or Dark Hearts whenever it backdashes.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- During Phase 1, the Hive Mind gains a lot of defense when any Dank Creepers are alive.
- Dank Creepers spawn shade clouds on death.
- Moves faster and takes less time to teleport in Phase 2.
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- Contact with the Hive Mind inflicts the Horror debuff.
- Moves faster still and takes less time to teleport in Phase 2.
- After teleporting, has a chance to fade in while circling the player and then lunge at them.
- This occurs at least once every three teleports.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Moves very quickly and teleports extremely often in Phase 2.
- No longer spawns enemies when reeling back, but always executes one of three aggressive attacks as it teleports:
- Fades in while rapidly circling the player and then lunges at high speed.
- Appears below the player and flies in a semicircle, spawning several enemies as it moves.
- Appears above the player and then dashes horizontally, creating many short-lived shade clouds in its wake.
- The same attack is never performed twice in a row.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Eater of Souls||Always|
|Dark Heart||During Phase 2|
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Upon defeating the Hive Mind, the status message "The ground is glittering with cyan light" displays, indicating that Aerialite Ore generated in the world.
- The Dryad will begin selling Teratomas, as well as the Bloody Worm Tooth.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- High speed/mobility such as dashes or double jumps will help avoid most of the Hive Mind's attacks. This is especially helpful in Revengeance and Death modes, where the Hive Mind becomes much more aggressive.
- If you leave the Corruption while this boss is alive, its defense is set to 9999 and it gains an increase in speed. You will be unable to harm it until you go back to the Corruption. A similar mechanic is also applied to the Perforator Hive.
- During Phase 1, The Hive Mind won't deal or take any damage while burrowing until it is fully emerged.
- During Phase 2, The Hive Mind won't deal contact damage while it is teleporting and not fully opaque, but it can still be damaged.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hive Mind's theme is The Filthy Mind, which was composed by the artists DM DOKURO and SixteenInMono.
- The Hive Mind could be considered the Corruption counterpart of the Brain of Cthulhu, while The Perforators could be considered the Crimson counterpart of the Eater of Worlds.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Hive Mind, the grotesque creature that lies in the depths of the corruption, is actually a colony of creatures that travel together, combining their abilities to form a greater presence responsible for spreading and sustaining the corruption. Corruptions are just breeding grounds to creatures which form larger and larger clusters.