Siren and Leviathan
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
- 25% / 33%
The Siren and The Leviathan are a duo of bosses that can be fought at any point in the game, but will only drop most loot during Hardmode. It is recommended that the player acquire post-Plantera equipment before engaging the bosses, as they are very challenging and require the management of two boss-tier enemies with several summons all at once.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
To begin the boss fight, the player has to kill the ??? in the Ocean. Doing this will spawn just The Siren at first, and The Leviathan herself will only spawn once The Siren reaches half health. In Death Mode, they will both spawn simultaneously when the ??? is killed.
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
This boss encounter is made up of two individual bosses: The Leviathan and The Siren. Both enemies must be defeated to count as a full kill and receive loot. Only The Siren is summoned at the start, but after she reaches 50% health, The Leviathan is summoned. They become invulnerable to damage if the player leaves the Ocean biome during the battle.
The Siren[edit | edit source]
- She rapidly fires damaging bubbles, water spears, ice mist and treble clefs at the player. These attacks all do identical damage.
- She periodically generates an ice shield, rendering her invulnerable to damage until it's destroyed.
- At 50% health, she begins spawning stationary blue Siren Clones that launch projectiles at the player.
- In addition to this, she begins to chase and ram into the player with her spear.
- She becomes enraged if The Leviathan is defeated first.
The Leviathan[edit | edit source]
- She mainly stays on one side of the player. Switching sides if the player went to another.
- She fires large orbs of energy.
- She summons Aquatic Aberrations and Paraseas to attack the player.
- She becomes enraged if The Siren is defeated first.
- When below 50% health, she will begin to charge at the player.
In Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
- The Siren is much more aggressive.
- The Frostburn debuff inflicted by the ice mist and Confused debuff inflicted by the treble clefs last double the time
In Revengeance Mode[edit | edit source]
- The Siren's ice shield blocks piercing projectiles.
- The Leviathan shoots faster.
In Death Mode[edit | edit source]
- Both bosses are summoned simultaneously at the beginning of the fight.
- Both bosses are always in their enraged state.
Summons[edit | edit source]
|Siren Clone||Below 50% health|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Leaving the Ocean wil cause both the Siren and Leviathan to enrage, with both becoming invulnerable to all damage.
- Making 3-4 layers of platforms that are the whole length of the Ocean may make it easier to dodge their attacks.
- The Terra Blade or the Terra Edge are both extremely powerful against the Siren and Leviathan, as both have high fire rates and damage values.
- The Conclave Crossfire, when paired with any homing bullets, is very effective for both bosses.
- Magic staffs such as the Meteor Staff and the Terra Ray are very effecting against the Leviathan due to its large hit box.
- Minions don't seem to be able to target the Leviathan and will kill the Siren instead, so Summoners might want to switch gear for this encounter.
- Alternatively, one can use the Interact key (right click) while holding a summoner weapon to target the Leviathan instead.
- The Lunic Eye and the Everglade Spray are extremely useful in reducing the Leviathan’s high defense.
- Dodging is key during this fight, thus accessories such as the Counter Scarf and the Master Ninja Gear should be prioritized.
- It is recommended to use Angel Treads or a Water Walking Potion to stay afloat during this fight, allowing you to reset the players wings on contact.
- Once the Leviathan has reached 50% of its health, care should be taken to be aware of where she is as she will start charging the player. Should she be on the left or right side of the player, it is important to dodge it either moving down or above where the Leviathan is going. The Rod of Discord or Slimy Saddle mount can be quite handy for this case.
- The Zerg buff can reduce the average waiting time for the ??? to spawn by 30x, making the bosses much more readily available.
- This will also spawn ocean enemies at a 30x rate so be cautious.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Even though the summon appears even at the very beginning of the game, it's not recommended to fight this boss until you get Hardmode gear.
- The Siren's frost shield deletes projectiles on contact in Revengeance Mode or Death Mode. This means some projectiles will fail to function correctly, such as the SHPC's primary fire.
- In the possible, though unlikely circumstance that you manage to lure the Leviathan and the Siren to the Sulphurous Sea biome, it will be considered as the Ocean and they will be vulnerable.
- Although it may be hard to notice, the Siren has two possible sprites. The only difference is on its chest and hands, where they may be either blue or green.
- This is the reason why there are two variations of the Siren's Heart.
- When you have the Wet debuff, the meteors that The Leviathan spews deal slightly less damage and the Siren's projectiles have a lower velocity.
- New meteor damage is 40 / 46 / 49 / 70
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Siren's theme is Siren's War Cry, which is by the artist DM DOKURO.
- When the Calamity Music addon mod is disabled and the Calamity base mod enabled, Boss 3 will play instead for the Siren and The Leviathan
- Siren's War Cry is the only Calamity theme to not be featured in its own video, instead only appearing in an "Extended" version alongside the other themes for the Siren and Leviathan. This is due to the fact that Siren's War Cry was made some time after the other two themes, in response to a rework to the fight which now included the Siren being fought on her own.
- When The Leviathan appears, the theme changes to Forbidden Lullaby, also by DM DOKURO.
- Neither of the themes have a Music Box.
- Unlike other bosses with multiple characters, like The Twins and Calamitas, The Siren and The Leviathan share the same trophy.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Leviathan was once far smaller compared to the massive beast she is now. A fairly large, armored anglerfish that was extremely territorial, often shredding those foolish enough to enter her section of the dark abyss in her steely jaws or by sending her entourage of males to do the work for her. However, after years of devouring most of the local wildlife she became bloated and old, no longer able to move herself at a decent speed. It was around this time that a lonely sea creature, one of the last ones remaining there, swam slowly up to the giant creature in curiosity. The creatures' blissful ignorance nearly cost it its' life as the leviathan burst forward and attempted to devour it. The creature avoided the attack easily and swiftly. The leviathan, tired and worn out from just one attempt, did not continue her attack.
As time went on the creature kept appearing at increasing frequency, observing and avoiding the leviathan's jaws with ease. Eventually the leviathan gave up entirely, leaving the creature to observe her as she slowly withered away from lack of food. One day she could no longer swim and fell down to the sea floor. It seemed like the end for this massive beast...until she saw that same creature that seemingly taunted her with its swiftness swimming in front of her with several dead fisherman and sea creatures collected in a large trawl net. The creature smiled and fed the leviathan repeatedly over the course of several days. Soon she was able to swim once again. However, the leviathan was still far too large to get anywhere quickly, and the creature had shown her that the only food sources left were up near the surface. The feminine creature assisting her could only bring so much nourishment by itself.
In an act of desperation she resorted to forsaking her back half by ramming her side against an underwater cliff; the cliff side cracked and fell, tearing her in half. She survived this and left her home in the abyss, following the creature leading her to seek out prey located in shallower waters. She then adapted to capturing the local divers in her jaws by disguising herself as a massive underwater rock formation. The divers would soon become leery of the once-calm waters near the beaches. This did not stop the feminine creature from assisting the leviathan by infatuating fisherman and then drowning them once they ventured too close. The fisherman then created tales and myths of a deceptive yet beautiful creature aptly named "The Siren". Tales of the duo continued to circulate but never held much merit and were often dismissed. Now the Leviathan waits patiently for the next diver to approach with the Siren close to her side, ready to help her newfound friend.