The changes listed here occur as long as the Calamity Mod is installed, and are not restricted to any modded difficulty modes. See the Revengeance Mode or Death Mode pages for changes that occur exclusively within those modes.
Starting[edit | edit source]
In every new player's inventory, there will be a Starter Bag, the Iron Heart, and the Revengeance. The Starter Bag contains numerous useful items, and can be opened to help speed up the beginning of the game. The Iron Heart item, usable in Expert Mode only, permanently activates Iron Heart mode - hardcore for bosses specifically. The Revengeance item, which can only be used in Expert Mode, irreversibly activates the difficult Revengeance Mode. Inside the Starter Bag are also the Death and Defiled Rune items, which each activate more challenging yet rewarding difficulty modes that can be toggled on and off, but only while Revengeance Mode is active.
Progression[edit | edit source]
The Calamity Mod makes heavy adjustments to the progression of Hardmode, removing many restrictions on the order in which bosses must be fought. In vanilla Terraria, many Hardmode bosses require other bosses to be defeated before they can be fought, creating a linear sequence of progression. Calamity introduces several means through which bosses can be fought "out of order", which greatly increases the player's choices and freedom during Hardmode.
- The Steampunker NPC is now available as soon as Hardmode begins, removing the prerequisite of having to defeat a Mechanical Boss.
- Plantera's Bulbs and Life Fruit can rarely spawn in the Jungle as soon as Hardmode begins, meaning that the Mechanical Bosses do not need to be defeated in order to fight Plantera.
- They can also spawn on the surface of the Jungle, but note that destroying a Bulb on the surface will summon Plantera in its enraged state.
- Defeating the Mechanical Bosses instead greatly increases the rate at which Plantera's Bulbs spawn.
- The Temple Key and a variant of the Lihzahrd Power Cell are now craftable with early-Hardmode materials, meaning that Plantera does not need to be defeated in order to enter the Jungle Temple and fight the Golem.
- Using an Eidolon Tablet, dropped by the Eidolists found in the Dungeon and the Abyss, will summon the Lunatic Cultist regardless of whether or not the Golem has been defeated. Eidolists begin spawning as soon as Hardmode begins, meaning that the Lunatic Cultist, the proceeding Lunar Events, and the Moon Lord can all be fought at any time after defeating the Wall of Flesh.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Treasure[edit | edit source]
The mod generates many structures containing certain items normally exclusive to different points of progression, including hardmode.
- Evil Islands will be comprised of the evil biome opposite to the one chosen upon world generation. The corresponding Biome Chests are on these islands as well.
- Some planetoids contain Enchanted Sword Shrines.
- Biome-specific shrines may spawn with certain vanilla items depending on the biome they spawn in.
- Ice Tombs generate with either the Arctic Diving Gear, Blizzard in a Balloon or the Frozen Turtle Shell.
- The chests in the Brimstone Crag contain several treasures:
Items sold by Town NPCs[edit | edit source]
Certain items with different requirements in progression are made alternatively available through Town NPCs. Clentaminator solutions also cost 5 , as opposed to the original price of 25 .
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Defense[edit | edit source]
- Damage reduction is soft capped at 33%. Any amount exceeding the cap will be 90% less effective.
- Defense works 50% less effectively for enemies that have damage reduction, resulting in defense being only 25% as effective for them compared to the normal 50% effectiveness.
- This change applies mostly to Revengeance Mode, where many enemies and bosses are given damage reduction stats.
- The Worm Scarf only provides a 10% damage reduction instead of 17%. This brings it in line with the Bloody Worm Scarf.
Damage[edit | edit source]
- The Venom debuff deals five times more damage, dealing 30 damage per second instead of 6, regardless if the afflicted target is an enemy or a player.
- All Hardmode bosses before and including Plantera take 50% less damage from Crystal Bullet split shards as well as the stars from Holy Arrows and the Star Cloak. Hardmode bosses after Plantera take 75% less damage from them. Calamity's post-Moon Lord bosses take 87.5% less damage from them.
- Chlorophyte Bullets will deal 20% less damage to everything. The damage penalty takes the gun's base damage into account.
Melee speed[edit | edit source]
- The player's melee speed bonus is hard-capped at 30%. Any amount exceeding the cap will not increase the player's melee speed bonus.
Life steal[edit | edit source]
- Life-stealing effects from weapons, accessories and armors have been given a cooldown.
Minions[edit | edit source]
- Minions are changed to automatically adjust their damage whenever the player's equipment is changed, no longer needing to be re-summoned in order to take effect.
Modifiers[edit | edit source]
- Defensive accessory modifiers now also increase damage reduction, with rarer defense modifiers granting a larger damage reduction bonus.
- The damage reduction bonus increases by 0.25% for every point of defense increased. (i.e the Hard modifier grants a 0.25% damage reduction bonus while the Warding modifier grants a 1% damage reduction bonus)
- Critical strike chance accessory modifiers are nerfed, with the Precise modifier now granting a 1% bonus and the Lucky modifier now granting a 2% bonus.
Enemies & Bosses[edit | edit source]
- When a boss is alive, the Zen buff's effects are applied upon the player.
- At the beginning of Hardmode, before the player has summoned or fought any boss, all enemies are weaker. In Normal mode, all enemies have 20% less HP and attack damage. In Expert mode, they have 40% less HP and attack damage to compensate for their higher original stats.
- Ice Golem's lasers can inflict Glacial State onto the player.
- Lunatic Cultist's health in Normal Mode and Expert Mode is increased (32,000 to 36,800 / 40,000 to 46,000).
- Multiplayer scaling of bosses' health is decreased. The % scaling can be calculated by multiplying the number of players by 10 and adding 40. However, this value cannot be less than the boss' health on single player.
- This means that you need at least 7 players before bosses' health begins increasing, as (7 * 10) + 40 = 110% HP.
- Boss health only scales up to 20 players.
- The Celestial Pillars require 100 enemies to be defeated in Expert Mode instead of 150.
Biomes[edit | edit source]
- In the Snow and Underground Snow biomes in Expert mode, the player's breath drains underwater much faster; however, the water no longer inflicts Chilled on the player.
Armor[edit | edit source]
- Pre-Hardmode ore armors now increase mining speed, with greater bonuses for more expensive materials. Interestingly, the alternate ores provide a 5% weaker buff compared to their normal counterparts, likely due to their extra defense.
- Copper armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 15%.
- Tin armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 10%.
- Iron armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 25%.
- Lead armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 20%.
- Silver armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 35%.
- Tungsten armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 30%.
- Gold armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 45%.
- Platinum armor's set bonus now increases mining speed by 40%.
- Some previously classless armors have been modified to grant bonuses to the rogue class, among other changes.
- Gladiator armor:
- Helmet now grants 4 defense (instead of 2) and increases rogue damage by 5%.
- Breastplate now grants 7 defense (instead of 3) and increases rogue crit chance by 5%.
- Leggings now grant 5 defense (instead of 2) and increase rogue projectile velocity by 5%.
- When a full set is equipped, it grants the player 5 defense and 10% increased rogue damage and velocity.
- Obsidian armor:
- Outlaw Hat now increases rogue damage by 5%.
- Longcoat now increases rogue crit chance by 5%.
- Pants now increase rogue projectile velocity by 5%.
- When a full set is equipped, it grants the player 3 defense, 10% increased rogue damage and crit chance, immunity to fire blocks, and temporary immunity to lava.
- Pumpkin armor's set bonus now increases rogue damage by 10%.
- Gladiator armor:
- Meteor armor's set bonus has been nerfed to reduce the mana usage of the Space Gun by 50% (instead of 100%).
- Spectre Hood has been buffed to decrease magic damage by 20% (instead of 40%).
- Vortex armor's stealth mode only provides 40% ranged damage instead of 80%, and 15% ranged crit instead of 20%.
Weapon Balance[edit | edit source]
The Calamity Mod re-balances a significant amount of vanilla weapons by buffing or nerfing certain attributes such as damage, granting auto-use, and changing mana costs.
Other[edit | edit source]
- All world sizes are increased vertically by 200 blocks to make room for Planetoids.
- Target Dummies will only be able to be hit when a boss is not alive; this is to prevent abuse of attacks that grant buffs or bonuses to the player.
- Several vanilla items' tooltips have been changed.
- Certain accessories, potions and light pets' tooltips have been changed to reflect their effectiveness in the Abyss.
- All vanilla wings now display statistics such as horizontal speed, acceleration multiplier, vertical speed and flight time.
- The Magic Quiver's tooltip has been changed to say "arrow damage," rather than simply "damage."
- The Warmth Potion provides immunity to the Chilled, Frozen, and Glacial State debuffs.
- All items with a max stack size of 99 are changed to have maximum stack sizes of 999.
- If the Calamity Mod Music is enabled, the Lunatic Cultist has a new theme named You Shall Know No More, composed by Turquoise.
See Also[edit | edit source]
|Environment||Events • Music • Status messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Game||Armageddon • Boss Health Bar • Boss Rush • Death Mode • Defiled Rune • Fishing • Game controls • Iron Heart • Lore • Proficiency • Revengeance Mode • Vanilla changes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death Prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|